Baryon table

elas

At least 6 years ago (most probably more) I copied the following list from a book or article, I have no reference to its origin. However, the significance of this list has at last come to mind, but now I need to know what is unique about this selection, why did the author select these particular baryons?. (Have tried a web search without getting a result). Due to poor print quality I may have got some symbols (particularly super scripts) wrong, so apologies in advance.

a5.gif

Edited by elas

The particle with a mass of 1.12 is a Lambda, not a Delta.

These are the principle classes of (or most easily seen) Baryons, as far as I can tell. The Lambda, for example, contains both an up and down quark, along with some different kind of quark. The Sigma has any two up and down quarks, plus a third different quark (with the ud combination decaying into a Lambda)

The second listing of of the Sigma and Xi is the spin 3/2 version of it

Wikipedia has entries on all of these. Here's the omega entry, with links to the others in the "see also" section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_baryon

The particle with a mass of 1.12 is a Lambda, not a Delta.....

Thanks once again. There is a mathematical structure in the table that as far as I am aware, has not been noticed or explored before; as usual my proposal will appear in the other place within a day or so.

PS. I have found the reference:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-ph/pdf/0304/0304083v1.pdf

The table is on p18.

Rather embarrassingly I also find that I did a pdf on this in 2007. An updated version of the table is shown below:

a6.gif

The third and fourth cols. are my addition, and the question is has anyone explained the constant linear increase shown in col. 4?.

Edited by elas