What is the purpose of ordering anything other than a Small Drink?

A Tripolation

So I was in my local McDonald's the other night. Almost everyone ahead of me who was(were?) dining-in ordered a medium or large drink.

So I glance over at the fountain machine that says, "Free Refills for Dine-In customers." I then glance back at the 1.90 price tag on the drink.

I just don't understand it. Why order a more expensive, larger size when the refills are free?

This question consumes me. I personally don't give a damn about my exergy-centric final in a few days. Please remedy this.

Also, why get ice? The drink is already cold. You're only maximizing their profit, and minimizing your drinking enjoyment. ;)

Edited by A Tripolation

well, here in the UK refills are rarely free.

obliviousness is probably part of it. another part will be the whole 'if i get seen with a small drink i'll be seen as weak' etc. etc. line of thinking.

yes its stupid but people are stupid. everbody is stupid. i'm stupid, your stupid and that guy down the street is stupid.

fortunately, most people are only stupid in areas that don't really matter like ordering a large when you get free refills.

personally, i wouldn't get a large. not because there are free refills, but i wouldn't want to drink all that much fizzy drink in the one sitting whilst eating food. a small is big enough to quench my thirst and not leave me feeling like a bloated balloon.

Edited by insane_alien

Well, I suppose some people are just oblivious to that. Or too lazy to get up as often. I like ice in my soda, because I like it as cold as possible and diluting it a little doesn't really change the flavor for the worse. Occasionally, I take a big cup, which I take with me nice and full when I leave. But for the most part I don't really go to such places.

Well, I suppose some people are just oblivious to that. Or too lazy to get up as often. I like ice in my soda, because I like it as cold as possible and diluting it a little doesn't really change the flavor for the worse. Occasionally, I take a big cup, which I take with me nice and full when I leave. But for the most part I don't really go to such places.

So when you're at the theater, and you get a drink, and they fill it to the brim with ice, and you get half a cup of soda, that's ok in your book?

Everyone looks at me like I'm a crazy person when I demand no ice. :D

personally, i wouldn't get a large. not because there are free refills, but i wouldn't want to drink all that much fizzy drink in the one sitting whilst eating food. a small is big enough to quench my thirst and not leave me feeling like a bloated balloon.

I always take a 0.5 liter (that's the "large" in the Netherlands). I know that "large" has different definitions in different countries.

For any meal at home, a simple glass of water (0.2 or 0.3 liter) is more than enough. But at the fastfood chains I get more thirsty... probably because of the overdose of salt on fries or something. Often I am still thirsty after that large drink. Funny thing.

Anyway, I hardly ever go there. It's emergency food as far as I'm concerned. Only when I am very hungry and nothing else is open. I think Kebab is much better, cheaper and healthier... and often just as fast... and then a regular can (0.3 liter) of soft drink is more than enough.

[edit] p.s. refills are not free here.

Edited by CaptainPanic

Well personally, I never get fountain soda (because it's gross) in the first place, so I save even the "small" price. I've heard that's where they make most of their money, since the profit margin is so huge. That crap is dirt cheap, which is why they can offer free refills and not worry about it. Perhaps the shrewdest choice is not based on maximizing the amount of soda you consume. Just drink tap water - it's bad enough you're eating McDonalds!

But I'm curious - if you get free refills, why not get ice?

I always take a 0.5 liter (that's the "large" in the Netherlands). I know that "large" has different definitions in different countries.

Oh, goodness. That's as as small as you can get in some places. Here in America we have 7-Eleven, that sells 64oz (about 1.9 liter) size fountain drinks.

Well personally, I never get fountain soda (because it's gross) in the first place, so I save even the "small" price. I've heard that's where they make most of their money, since the profit margin is so huge. That crap is dirt cheap, which is why they can offer free refills and not worry about it. Just drink tap water - it's bad enough you're eating McDonalds!

Oh, goodness. That's as as small as you can get in some places. Here in America we have 7-Eleven, that sells 64oz (about 1.9 liter) size fountain drinks.

LOL.

Really?

1.9 liter is larger than most bottles in the supermarkets here. Those are normally 1.5 liter (or 51 US fluid ounces). There is the odd brand that sells in a 2 liter bottle... and that's the biggest we have. To get 1.9 liter in a fastfood chain. LOL. That's just ridiculous. Are people supposed to finish that while they sit in the restaurant? Or is the whole point that you drink some, then refill, and take the rest home (and wouldn't a bottle be easier then?)?

One of those mega-drinks means you get enough liquid for the whole day. People must be spending a lot of time in the toilet to get rid of all that water again :)

Four-star restaurant chefs will tell you that a major part of the enjoyment of food is the aesthetic effect of how it looks when you see it before you and when you sit down to consume it. If this principle applies as well to more simple fare, then we should ask what fast food restaurants are trying to sell us in aesthetic as opposed to just dietary terms. I think one of the things their selling is the aesthetic sensation of self-indulgence, satiation, sensory satisfaction, and the possession of bountiful resources of food -- all of which is promoted by buying a large-size drink so you can cradle that massive bowl of sticky sweet liquid in your hands and gulp it down with no sense of limit or self-control.

I meant more like, when you're not getting free refills. Why get ice in those instances.

I also no not understand bottled water. Aquafina, IIRC, is actually bottled tap water. Why pay for stuff that is practically free?

So when you're at the theater, and you get a drink, and they fill it to the brim with ice, and you get half a cup of soda, that's ok in your book?

Well I'd have a problem with that if I went to the theater, and on top of that bought their food. I rather watch things from the comfort of my own home, and for free.

Everyone looks at me like I'm a crazy person when I demand no ice. :D

Yeah, I've done that in places that as you say fill the glass full with ice.

I meant more like, when you're not getting free refills. Why get ice in those instances.

If I'm thirsty enough then diluting that sugary syrup a bit would actually improve the taste.

I also no not understand bottled water. Aquafina, IIRC, is actually bottled tap water. Why pay for stuff that is practically free?

Well, I think they also filter it, but mostly for convenience and some for dumb people too.