Why do they always play music in shopping stores?

Mr Rayon

Why do they always have music in shopping stores? What's the psychological explanation for this? Do people who listen to music tend to purchase more things from a department store? What are the most recent scientific evidence suggesting? Does everyone usually enjoy listening to music while shopping? I usually find it a bit distracting. :huh:

It's like escaping reality and creating a virtual world. Customers would have a much more relaxed mind and are more likely to purchase goods. However for me the bigger question is how on earth do people spend like 6 hours shopping . There are so many better things to do in that time :D

Edited by scilearner

There has been research in the past supporting the notion that certain music does strengthen peoples' purchasing tendencies. I don't know about recent evidence. Many of the ways that dept. stores are laid out comes from research on consumers--the things that are clustered around the check-out counter for "impulse buys," the way the display gondolas are arranged, what's displayed on the gondola end-caps, etc.--the whole environment. I formerly ran several companies which did dept. store interiors and store fixtures, so I used to live and breathe this stuff. I can't even go into a store without studying how it's put together and presented.

Edited by ahhhhhz

• 2 weeks later...