Unsure on Major

cbelk6

Hi everyone, I'm currently a senior at high school and enrolled in AP Chemistry. I enjoy it and would like it to be involved my college and career. My friend is going to school for pharmacy and I was thinking about doing that, but the more I hear about what it actually is the more I don't want to. I am more interested in the elements and compounds that make up things. I like the periodic table and how cool all the elements on it are. I like seeing them in their natural form and I like to hear what makes up our everyday items. Can anyone please suggest some possible majors, jobs, or careers that include something in this field? I appreciate all feedback. Thank you.

There are a whole plethora of chemical sciences however they all pretty much fall into these categories as far as carrers and school go career wise:

Chemistry

Biochemistry

Chemical Engineering

Materials Science

Pharmacy

Chemical Education

Of course the term chemistry encompasses, analytical, organic, inorganic, metallurgy, physical-chem and many others. However, most of the time one would just major in chemistry and get more specific in grad-school. Some schools do distinguish though, my school offers a seperate degree for polymer/materials science, as well as biochemistry, and chemical education; same department different major.

I like the periodic table and how cool all the elements on it are. I like seeing them in their natural form and I like to hear what makes up our everyday items.

You mention activities that makes you feel good, but work is not a spectator sport. A career means doing something that someone will pay you to do.

I tell students this -- Take a good look around and ask yourself what you strongly believe would make the world a better place or, conversely, what's wrong with the world. This exercise will show you the direction that your heart is pointed ... and there is where you will have a job that you love to get up and go to every morning. Then, research the pay that you'll probably earn and if you want to live such a lifestyle. Then you need to ensure that you have a skills set or can acquire a skills set that will allow you to work in the profession. Lastly, look into the cost of the education, and find ways for you to finance you education.

If the career that comes to mind doesn't involve chemistry, then chemistry is only a hobby or an amusement for you, although what you suggest (the elements, like seeing them, like learning about them) includes teaching chemistry, where you can pass along your knowledge and enthusiasm to others.

As far I know, both chemical engineering and lab analytical field should be interesting. Apart from having vast career opportunities, there are different industries in high demand of this profession. If you are into long term career with high paying job, engineers and analytical chemical in the petroleum industry is by far the best and most profitable. Just my 2 cents.

While it might be theoretically useful when contemplating one's university major to think of what discipline will make the most important contribution to the world, the fact is that unless you are doing something you love because you find it fascinating, you will not be able to endure studying it for four years, much less pursuing a career in it. So by all means, look to your heart first.

But when you are still in high school, it is impossible to get a clear idea on what direction you want to set for the rest of your life, which is why most universities give you a year of general studies before you have to pick a major. At this stage you have to keep your mind and your options open, because odds are that what you are doing when you are 30 will have only a general connection with what you now think you will be doing.

So the best choice for you would be to pick a major in general chemistry (or perhaps organic chemistry if your school offers that as an alternate) and then inch forward always looking at everything around you to make sure you don't want to change course. It could well be that when you get more information about things by being exposed to the broader world of university you may decide you really want to be a physicist, an astronomer, or perhaps major in French Literature. Don't be surprised if you surprise yourself!