Computer Science or Computer Engineering? Computer Science isn't worth it?

masta

I like programming, so thats one of the reasons I plan to major in computer science. Also, I like the idea of working with computer graphics and systems for artificial intelligence. But I keep on hearing a lot negative comments about the CS major, here are a few:

1. People who study CS are computer engineering dropouts who decided to take the easy way out cause they couldn't keep up with the difficulty level of CE.

2. Most of the students are gaming nerds who have no social life.

3. Computer Science is a limited major compare to computer engineering.

I've also heard that an engineer has more job openings and has much more knowledge than a computer scientist, since he/she is capable of working with both software and hardware.

At first , I like programming too , but I'm just a beginner in it , and my field is electrical control which is based a lot on using informatics , ....

well , you're right , ... the computer engineering is wider than CS , .. because it includes the both abilities , to manipulate software and hardware .

Usual tasks involving computer engineers include writing software and firmware for embedded microcontrollers, designing VLSI chips, designing analog sensors, designing mixed signal , circuit board, and designing operating systems. Computer engineers are also suited for robotics research, which relies heavily on using digital systems to control and monitor electrical systems like motors, communications , and sensor ...

However , computer science has also a considerable wight , you find that the majority of experts in programming are computer scientists , so often , the software is produced by them .

in the end , I can only say that it's not about the specialty , what matters the most is the level + the experience + the competence .

:rolleyes:

Scientists and engineers are both interested in the nature of things in understanding how ideas and objects in the world fit together. But in general, they seek to understand the nature of reality with different ends in mind. The scientist seek this understanding as an end in itself, the engineer in order to build things. Thus Computer Science is closer to the underlying theory of computation with its roots in mathematics and Computer Engineering is closer to the design of physical devices with roots in physics and chemistry as well. Students with an urge to measure how things work in the laboratory those attracted to physics and chemistry as well as mathematics should seriously consider CEN.