How do you determine the order of least to most basic in the following

CrazCo

Remember that the conjugate base of a weak acid is a strong base. Inversely, the conjugate base of a strong acid is a weak base.

-One of the bases you listed is the conjugate base of a very strong acid...that means that species is a very weak base.

-The conjugate acid of [ce]HCO_{3}^-^[/ce] is [ce]H_{2}CO_{3}[/ce] is that a strong acid, a weak acid, or a "stronger-weak" acid?

-One of the species you listed yields a quite basic metal hydroxide in aqueous solution. Think about the Arrhenius definition of a base.

-You could always look up a table of [math]pK_{a}[/math] values if you know what those are.

Remember that the conjugate base of a weak acid is a strong base. Inversely, the conjugate base of a strong acid is a weak base.

-One of the bases you listed is the conjugate base of a very strong acid...that means that species is a very weak base.

-The conjugate acid of [ce]HCO_{3}^-^[/ce] is [ce]H_{2}CO_{3}[/ce] is that a strong acid, a weak acid, or a "stronger-weak" acid?

-One of the species you listed yields a quite basic metal hydroxide in aqueous solution. Think about the Arrhenius definition of a base.

-You could always look up a table of [math]pK_{a}[/math] values if you know what those are.

Thanks!

So hydrofluoric acid is a weak acid, therefore F- is a strong base!

Hydroiodic is a strong acid, therefore I- is a weak base!

Carbonic acid is a weak acid, therefore HCO3- is a strong base!

I am not sure about LiH, but I don't know how to determine whether HF is weaker or stronger than HCO3-

Edited by CrazCo

Thanks!

So hydrofluoric acid is a weak acid, therefore F- is a strong base!

Hydroiodic is a strong acid, therefore I- is a weak base!

Carbonic acid is a weak acid, therefore HCO3- is a strong base!

Yeah you've got it. But be careful with the terms strong and weak, something can only be truly strong if it dissociates into its constituent ions 100% in aqueous solution. So [ce]HCO_{3}^{-}[/ce] is technically not a strong base but it is a "stronger-weak base", same goes for [ce]F^{-}[/ce].

I am not sure about LiH, but I don't know how to determine whether HF is weaker or stronger than HCO3-

Here's a hint: [ce]HF[/ce] is one of the strongest of the common weak acids.

Edited by mississippichem

Yeah you've got it. But be careful with the terms strong and weak, something can only be truly strong if it dissociates into its constituent ions 100% in aqueous solution. So [ce]HCO_{3}^{-}[/ce] is technically not a strong base but it is a "stronger-weak base", same goes for [ce]F^{-}[/ce].

Here's a hint: [ce]HF[/ce] is one of the strongest of the common weak acids.

Thanks!

Does this look good?

Least to Most Basic: I-,F-, HCO3- LiH