Conservative vs. Nonconservative Forces

OSHMUNNIES

I know that this subject is elementary for you actual physicists out there (I'm probably duplicating a pre-existing thread too), but I'm having trouble grasping the true difference between conservative and non-conservative force. Gravity and friction are often cited as examples, but it still seems difficult to conceptualize what is really meant by the terms conservative/non-conservative, and what their significance is. Someone please enlighten me?

P.S. The context of my question lies in the current subject I'm studying in Physics II: Electromagnetic Induction, in that the distinction between an electric field and an electrostatic field is that one provides a nonconservative force (the E field, I believe), and the other doesn't....would appreciate any explanations/advice! : D

If the force is conservative, you can get back any energy you add by returning to your starting point, and it won't depend on the path you take. The net work you do is zero.

Nonconservative forces dissipate energy in some way, so will always have less energy when you go around a closed path. You will have done nonzero work on the object.

So, relating this to electric vs. electrostatic fields...does the conservative nature of a field (id est whether the field is conservative or not) depend on whether or not the charges themselves are accelerated? (W=m*a*s)

Accelerated charges radiate, which is dissipative.

(BTW, one rarely sees "i.e." in long form. kudos for knowing what it stands for)