Earth and gravity

Diego12

Hello, i was wondering if someone can answer me some questions:

1. 1 Supose that we can do a hole from one side to another (including braking nucleous). You throw a piece of metal. It would fall till the nucleus but when it pass the nucleous the gravity turns to the other side so it returns to the other half of the nucleous. Would it be an eternal fall or would it be a point were the opposite gravities breake the piece of metal.
  2. 2 Supose that we can do a hole from one side to another (including braking nucleous). You throw a log of 1 tonne from 30 meters high and it goes on a speed of 100 K/h. Would it reach the burning point before it arrivesto the nucleous, on the nucleous, or after the nucleous.

1. 1 Supose that we can do a hole from one side to another (including braking nucleous). You throw a piece of metal. It would fall till the nucleus but when it pass the nucleous the gravity turns to the other side so it returns to the other half of the nucleous. Would it be an eternal fall or would it be a point were the opposite gravities breake the piece of metal.
I assume that you mean drilling a hole through the Earth, including the core ( the Earth does not have a nucleus) The metal will fall to the center and then climb back up the other side. If there is no friction to consider, it will fall back and forth forever. There is no point where "opposite gravities" would pull apart on the metal. As it falls towards the center gravity will get weaker until it is zero at the center. It will then get stronger again as the metal climbs back up.

2 Supose that we can do a hole from one side to another (including braking nucleous). You throw a log of 1 tonne from 30 meters high and it goes on a speed of 100 K/h. Would it reach the burning point before it arrivesto the nucleous, on the nucleous, or after the nucleous.

I have no idea what you mean by "burning point".

Edited by Janus

2. 2 Supose that we can do a hole from one side to another (including braking nucleous). You throw a log of 1 tonne from 30 meters high and it goes on a speed of 100 K/h. Would it reach the burning point before it arrivesto the nucleous, on the nucleous, or after the nucleous.

look here

I assume that you mean drilling a hole through the Earth, including the core ( the Earth does not have a nucleus) The metal will fall to the center and then climb back up the other side. If there is no friction to consider, it will fall back and forth forever. There is no point where "opposite gravities" would pull apart on the metal. As it falls towards the center gravity will get weaker until it is zero at the center. It will then get stronger again as the metal climbs back up.

I have no idea what you mean by "burning point".

Burning point is when something gets to hot that it burns

Need a bit more an explanation than that Diego. The falling slug will not turn around unless you have a force that will cause it to decelerate and accelerate back upwards - and I am not sure what the horizontal drill holes and probes are doing either

Need a bit more an explanation than that Diego. The falling slug will not turn around unless you have a force that will cause it to decelerate and accelerate back upwards - and I am not sure what the horizontal drill holes and probes are doing either

Yes im sorry because of the explanation the experiment is that me and my friends are gonna drill holes like you saw on the video and on the horizontal holes were gonna put electro magnets. The thing that were gonna throw is a little piece of metal.

assume that you mean drilling a hole through the Earth, including the core ( the Earth does not have a nucleus) The metal will fall to the center and then climb back up the other side. If there is no friction to consider, it will fall back and forth forever. There is no point where "opposite gravities" would pull apart on the metal. As it falls towards the center gravity will get weaker until it is zero at the center. It will then get stronger again as the metal climbs back up. [/Quote]

Janus, you lost me. I thought gravity would be strongest as the center of earth. Why would it get weaker? Where the gravity be the strongest, on the surface of the earth? That would pull anything out of the center, not back to it.

This isn't science news...it's in the wrong section...

A moderator needs to move this.

also:

1. It would accelerate it terminal velocity and presuming the heat of the inside of the earth doesn't melt it and the planet's gravity doesn't pull it back together then it would swing past the centre of the planet then fall back and it would keep doing that over and over but would eventually be slowed down by air resistance etc. and would eventually just stop at the centre.

2. Speed doesn't equal burning. If the heat of the inside of the planet affected the log it would burn as soon as it reached wear the mantle would be...perhaps earlier...depends on where you made the hole. If you forget the heat of the planet itself then it may catch fire from friction with the air particles, but i'm not sure about that. If you forget both of those things the log would do the same thing as the metal in Q1 because there is nothing to make it burn. So it depends on the details. Things don't have real burning points.

But in normal reality the Earth's gravity would close the hole before you could do that. Even if you did manage to stop that it would burn before it reaches the core because of the heat of the planet itself, which is enough to melt stone and metal.

Edited by ProcuratorIncendia

Janus, you lost me. I thought gravity would be strongest as the center of earth. Why would it get weaker? Where the gravity be the strongest, on the surface of the earth? That would pull anything out of the center, not back to it.

Only the part of the Earth's mass closer to the center of the Earth than you are contributes to the gravity you would feel(Newton's Shell theorem). So if you were halfway to the center of the Earth, the mass of the sphere 1/2 the radius of the Earth would be 1/8 the mass of the whole Earth. The decrease in distance only increases gravity by 4 times, so you get a net gravity force of half that at the surface. Thus if the Earth were of uniform density, gravity would drop off by 1/R as you go deeper. (the Earth isn't of uniform density, so it won't drop off quite a linearly, but it will drop.)

Only the part of the Earth's mass closer to the center of the Earth than you are contributes to the gravity you would feel(Newton's Shell theorem). So if you were halfway to the center of the Earth, the mass of the sphere 1/2 the radius of the Earth would be 1/8 the mass of the whole Earth. The decrease in distance only increases gravity by 4 times, so you get a net gravity force of half that at the surface. Thus if the Earth were of uniform density, gravity would drop off by 1/R as you go deeper. (the Earth isn't of uniform density, so it won't drop off quite a linearly, but it will drop.)

Thanks Janus. I had time to look for more information and found a good picture of what you said at:

http://en.wikipedia....ravity_of_Earth

There is more to learn of the earth's gravity than I realized.

Diego12, you might check the site for the equation that might answer your question.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Athena

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.