What do you know about the Waisseman method?

random

It was an intriguing read about how this organization basically puts drug addicts to sleep with anaesthesia and administers detoxifying drugs to clear the opiate from the brains receptors. But as with most things on the internet it is extremely difficult to get through the "media hype" to solid facts rather than sales pitches. Does this work as well as it appears it would? I think the detoxifying is half the battle with an addict who fears the physical withdrawal and discomfort associated with it What is a professional opinion please?

• 3 months later...

I don't know if this is any use but there is an interesting discussion on http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Addiction-Substance-Abuse/Anyone-tried-or-know-about-the-waismann-method/show/613899 some people say its great others say stay the hell away. there are a few other threads down the bottom of the page related to the Waismann method. I didn't check them out but they may be of some use to you.

I'll say something which I believe to be generally useful, even being completely naive of the Waissman Method.

As a general rule, any sort of medical or quasi-medical procedure which suggests that it rids you of mysterious and devilish "toxins" is not to be trusted any further than you can crumple it up and throw it. It is not typically language that serious physicians and clinicians use. From late-night colon-cleanse commercials to cancer quacks and goofy autism treatment advocates, it all represents a pretty fuzzy/sad understanding of the way the body works, and the way we, physiologically, rid ourselves of noxious substances.

Here's where I can speak with at least minor authority as someone in psychology: The medical and psychological treatment of addiction is an extremely difficult area. Most good, medium-to-long-term psychological (and medical) treatments for just about anything are predicated upon at least a modicum of motivation and adherence that addicts characteristically lack. It is hard as hell to do. Success rates are embarrassing. Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling you something.