Genetic Disease/Metabolic Pathways

Hi,

As part of my degree I am studying PCR analysis of DNA. I will be studying the effects of different enzymes have on the DNA after. So for example, in people who are lactose intolerant, I will study the gene sequence before and after the addition of B-Galactosinase. I am wondering if anyone knows of a good databse with the pathways for the genes/enzymes of interest. A good example is this one I found myself;

http://www.galactosaemia.com/galactosaemia/metabolism.html

I want to look into a number of disorders too so any advice or where to look for the genetics of the diseases and their metabolic pathways is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

KEGG is a very comprehensive database of metabolic pathways, if you already got targets you may want to look into the swissprot (one of the best curated protein databases). What I do not understand is what you try to accomplish. Which DNA sequences are you looking at and why do you think they will change? Or do you really mean expression?

KEGG is a very comprehensive database of metabolic pathways, if you already got targets you may want to look into the swissprot (one of the best curated protein databases). What I do not understand is what you try to accomplish. Which DNA sequences are you looking at and why do you think they will change? Or do you really mean expression?

I will try to establish if enzymes or proteins missing from the metabolic pathway (as in the case with disease)s when added to food products have an effect on gene expression and potentially lead to better quality of life for people who suffer from the disease. I have yet to design all my experiments. PCR and RT-PCR will be used mainly. I will give a better description later if youre interested, I am posting here inbetween working hours! ;)