Copper Chlorate

jamit37

I was wondering how you can make this chemical. I heard from the "benzoic" topic that copper chlorate is unstable. So I want to make sure before moving forward.

My thinking was to mix a solution of potassium chlorate and copper sulfate to produce copper chlorate and insoluble potassium sulfate. Am I headed in the right direction?

Suggestions would be welcomed!

• 1 month later...

For one thing, potassium sulfate is pretty soluble in water so your procedure would not work. As for the stability of copper chlorate, I believe it should be stable at room temperature, but I've never read anything about that compound in particular so I guess anything is possible. If you were to try to make it via a precipitation reaction, you would need to find out how soluble copper chlorate is, and then work from there to create a situation in which when a chlorate solution and a copper solution mix, the copper chlorate's solubility differs significantly from that of the other salt, so that it can be separated via filtration if it is less soluble, or purified by repeated crystalizations of the less soluble salt if it is more soluble. I suspect that it isn't very soluble in water, but again, only experimentation can tell for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering how you can make this chemical. I heard from the "benzoic" topic that copper chlorate is unstable. So I want to make sure before moving forward.

My thinking was to mix a solution of potassium chlorate and copper sulfate to produce copper chlorate and insoluble potassium sulfate. Am I headed in the right direction?

Suggestions would be welcomed!

Jamit37,

Here is a fool-proof way to get your copper chlorate solution:

Order a pound of barium chlorate from a fireworks supplier; the stuff is cheap, and is carried by ANY fireworks supplier worth their, ahem, salt. While you're at it, unless you have some laying around, grab some copper sulfate too. This will come as the pentahydrate, though it will not be advertised as such. Your reaction will rely on the fact that barium sulfate is practically insoluble in water; in fact, to my knowledge, it is the only barium salt one can ingest without fear of death. It is used in barium enemas for this reason.

Here is your procedure:

Dissolve both salts in distilled water, such that the mass ratio of the two will be 1.218 parts barium chlorate to one part copper sulfate pentahydrate. When both are completely in solution, add the barium chlorate to the copper sulfate, and watch the barium sulfate immediately precipitate out of solution, as you add the two parts together. The barium salt being the heavier (it's not called "barium" for naught), it will settle to the bottom nicely. Pour off, or filter, as your tastes demand, and you will have a nice, pure copper chlorate solution. The salt will be the hydrated form, but you did not mention if that was an issue or not. EIther way, it will be an absolutely rabid oxidizer. This has worked for me, and I've employed it for the sole reason that barium chlorate is easily obtainable from fireworks suppliers, but the copper chlorate is next to unobtainium....

Good luck, stay safe, and be well

Z06

To VetteLover

thanks alot for your suggestion. I have barium chlorate so I'll try that this coming weekend.

Jamit37,

Here is a fool-proof way to get your copper chlorate solution:

Order a pound of barium chlorate from a fireworks supplier; the stuff is cheap, and is carried by ANY fireworks supplier worth their, ahem, salt. While you're at it, unless you have some laying around, grab some copper sulfate too. This will come as the pentahydrate, though it will not be advertised as such. Your reaction will rely on the fact that barium sulfate is practically insoluble in water; in fact, to my knowledge, it is the only barium salt one can ingest without fear of death. It is used in barium enemas for this reason.

Here is your procedure:

Dissolve both salts in distilled water, such that the mass ratio of the two will be 1.218 parts barium chlorate to one part copper sulfate pentahydrate. When both are completely in solution, add the barium chlorate to the copper sulfate, and watch the barium sulfate immediately precipitate out of solution, as you add the two parts together. The barium salt being the heavier (it's not called "barium" for naught), it will settle to the bottom nicely. Pour off, or filter, as your tastes demand, and you will have a nice, pure copper chlorate solution. The salt will be the hydrated form, but you did not mention if that was an issue or not. EIther way, it will be an absolutely rabid oxidizer. This has worked for me, and I've employed it for the sole reason that barium chlorate is easily obtainable from fireworks suppliers, but the copper chlorate is next to unobtainium....

Good luck, stay safe, and be well

Z06