adrenaline can raise or lower blood pressure??

Taken from wikipedia:

'Because of various expression of α₁or β₂receptors, depending on the patient, administration of adrenaline may raise or lower blood pressure, depending whether or not the net increase or decrease in peripheral resistance can balance the positive inotropic and chronotropic effects of adrenaline on the heart, effects which respectively increase the contractility and rate of the heart'

No citation, so it could be pure poop. Can't find anything else about it on the net.

How would that work? How common is it to have low blood pressure as response to adrenaline?

• 2 weeks later...

Adrenaline increases the blood flow in the skeletal muscles by causing vasodilation acting through b receptors in the blood vessels . However in most of the other parts of the body it causes vasoconstriction which inspite of increased contractility of heart , actually reduces the blood flow.

• 3 months later...

I don't think it depends on the patient. There are alpha and beta receptors present in every one and different organs have different concentration of these. I have heard about different structures of a human responding to adrenalin differently but I have not heard about different humans responding differnetly

I have a history of high blood pressure which is controlled by drugs. I was experiencing some pain during some dental treatment, my dentist said he couldn't (or wouldn't) use anaesthetics containing adrenaline because of my condition. He didn't say whether it would raise or lower my blood pressure. I have had a little look around the web and found this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1158539

Edited by TonyMcC