Nested PCR? ( Nested PCR vs realtime pcr)

Does anyone know the sensitivity range of nested pcr ?

I tried goggling but could not get the answer .

I am from INDIA .

Is nested PCR sensitive enough to detect the acute infection Hepatitis c infection between 4-6 weeks ?

I did the two pcr and got condractory relsults.

This answer will help me a lot because , I had HCV PCR done realtime PCR got results as "HCV RNA DETECTED" on fourth week after exposure . And the lab which i did the first was not a very famous one.

As many said that my risk factor was very very unlikely to cause infection . After a week of first pcr , I did NESTED PCR RNA in the most reputed lab In my state which has got College of American Pathologists (CAP) Laboratory Accreditation. And got Results as "HCV RNA NOT DETECTED".

I belive the testing done in second lab and there would not be any errors in testing method there .

But i need to know , IS nested pcr sensitive enough to detect acute infection at 5 weeks post exposure ?

If anyone know the sensitivity range of nested pcr ( or ) the sensitivity diffrence between the realtime and nested pcr methods say me .

The answer would reduce my anexities and stress .

Edited by samsundar88

Both rely on the amplification and as such the sensitivity is comparable. The factor determining sensitivity would be more down to the actual protocol (i.e. primers used, number of cycles, detection method etc.) rather than the realtime vs. nested PCR per se. In other words, it depends a lot on the actual performance of the lab, and I am not sure whether they are well standardized (if at all).

However, nested PCRs tend to be a bit more specific than realtime assays. The best thing to do is to to have the bloodwork redone if the titer is near the detection limit. Also consult some doctors and find a good one.