Sisyphus

I don't believe that natural (earth-bound or galactic) events will happen in 2012... it would be coincidental, and a very lucky guess for a bunch of people living hundreds of years ago.

I believe the best scenario for 2012 total annihilation is man-made. Every economic crisis brings a risk of war. History has plenty of examples of that. But the only realistic scenario for near-future man-made global annihilation is if the USA and Russia start nuking each other and their allies. All other catastrophies, like global warming, flooding or an ice age will take more than the 2 years that remain until it's 2012.

Still, I haven't really figured out why Russia and the USA would start nuking each other... Maybe Palin will hold up her middle finger while standing in her garden, and the Russians get offended, and retalliate with a first nuke? Or perhaps the anticipated solar storm will disrupt some systems, and it's all a big accident.

Every few years or so, there is a coming End of The World that colorfully deranged quacks widely believe will come to pass. As anyone reading this is no doubt already aware, in the past few years there has been a lot of noise about the year 2012, apparently due to the date of the end of a cycle in the Mayan calendar, though practically every apocolypse has now become associated with it as well. They even made a mainstream disaster movie about it! There has been so much noise, in fact, that it seems on the verge of a Quack Consensus. In fact, I haven't heard any End of the World predictions about any later dates.

So, my question is, once 2012 is in the past, when will the next End of the World be? Has anyone heard of any bet hedging (e.g., "if it doesn't happen in 2012, it will surely happen in 2018")? Any unusual celestial events in the following few years? Will there be specific predictions, again, immediately? Or will they be in the vague near future for a while?

What will the SFN Speculations section look like in the year 2013?

Similarly, the world doesn't have to end in 2038 just because some computer clocks "stop" at that point.

You are seriously missing something about the scale of this. It's much easier to kill living creatures than it is to melt a planet.

I absolutely know for a FACT that in July 9th 2011 the world and everything we know will end!

I know this because Galaxies A99 and BIT-232 will CRASH and 2 SUPER MASSIVE BLACKHOLES WILL COLLIDE resulting in a rip in the Time-Space continuum. This rip is going to SUCK everything thin into it and turn it into pure energy!!!

THE WORLD WILL END!!!

On a side note Both galaxies have a SLIM chance of missing each other and therefore will collide with another galaxy in XXXX years. This will result in the world ending and the demons of hell to spew forth from the rip.

On a side side note, it is slightly possible that these galaxies will miss each other as well, and therefore they will hit another galaxy xx-xx in XXXX years. this will implode the whole universe and emit xray radiation! enough to boil your skin off of its rind. (that is if it doesn't diminish its power over the vast distance it has to travel, and if it misses the harmonic frequencies emitted by the interactions with other galaxies, planets, solar systems, and black holes.