Physics PhD student wants to get into animation physics... How?

mayonaise

Hi, I'm currently a PhD student in physics. I've found that some of the most interesting physics happens in animations like those from Pixar, and they do hire people to do such simulations. How would you advise me to get into this field? I had built a vehicle physics engine (in C++) for a commercial game, and I do a lot of programming in research.

I'd just approach them directly: Look around the Pixar (or some other suitable company) homepage to get some idea about the company, then send a mail to some suitable person there asking for information. I don't think they are too angry if a suitable employee contacts them asking for information.

Edited by timo

I really hope to meet some people on the forums, who work on physics-based animations...

I don't know if there is anyone like that here.

Maybe there are a few people who have experience in it, but I don't know if anyone here specializes in that.

You could try physicsforums.com if you don't get many replies in the next two weeks.

I've noticed that sometimes the science professionals on this forum take a while (a week or two) to respond to a thread.

I don't know if there is anyone like that here.

Maybe there are a few people who have experience in it, but I don't know if anyone here specializes in that.

You could try physicsforums.com if you don't get many replies in the next two weeks.

I've noticed that sometimes the science professionals on this forum take a while (a week or two) to respond to a thread.

Thanks, I did post there. And I'll gladly wait.

Thanks, I did post there. And I'll gladly wait.

You'll be much better off asking here...Maya programming forum or somewhere similar. I'm pretty sure, but don't quote me on this, but most studios use a platform e.g 3ds Max, and design their own plug-ins depending on what they want. IIRC Pixar use Maya, along with a host of other packages such as Marionette. I doubt you'll get much help on a science / physics forum.