Conservation of Momentum and Energy

Tetra

Don't really get what to do...

A hunter shoots a 500g arrow at a 2kg bird perched on a tall tree growing on a flat ground. The arrow is launched from ground level with a speed of 40m/s at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizon. It is traveling horizontally when it strikes and embeds into the bird. How far from the base of the tree do the bird and arrow land?

So I found that (using the law of conservation of momentum) the momentum of the bird + arrow is 20kgm/s, and the velocity of the arrow + bird is 20m/s. And I know we can form a triangle thing out of the velocities or momentums but...I can't seems to find distance! Which is the thing we're looking for! Help?

Um...I muse be stupid or something...

So say I used that equation v2^2 = v1^2 + 2(a)(d) and I find d.

Then I find the horizontal velocity.Then i can find time, which is the amount of time it takes for the bird to drop. But since that's a vertical component, I'm supposed to use the vertical velocity to calculate for time. And, since time should be the same for both horizontal and vertical components, then I can use the horizontal component and time to find distance...is that it?

I thought there was another way of doing it...I guess I must have imagined it....

momentum of the bird + arrow is 20kgm/s.

You need to look at this again. That's the initial momentum of the arrow (.5 kg* 40 m/s) but it is launched at a 30º angle. You want the horizontal component; the vertical component becomes zero, owing to the force of gravity, at the time of the collision.