Concepts behind Field

Ashish

I worry seriously about it.

I cannot accept action at distance without any logical explanation, and the entire field concept is based upon action at a distance.

As mentionned before, I have the conviction that fields have to be connected with the concept of Time (because distance & space are time-related) and with the concept of scale factor (because it is also space & time related). All 3 together can make some sense.

To my understanding, according to the Standard Model, at least with regard to the Strong, Weak, and Electromagnetic Forces, there isn't really "action at a distance", forces are "carried" between two particles on bosons such as gluons, W and Z bosons, and photons, respectively.

You also have to remember that when examining the force field around an object, the vector field in question doesn't actually exist; that is, the particle isn't shooting force carriers randomly out into space in all directions. It is a map of the force vectors that WOULD exist, were a particle in any particular location at that moment. Once a particle is placed in the space the particles exchange force carriers and the force vector described by the field at that particular location is applied to the particle.

Also remember, even though it may seem "intuitive" that two objects should have to touch to have an effect on each other, even when you physically push something to apply force to it, the "touch" you sense is merely an illusion. The particles making up the atoms in your body never come into actual physical contact with the particles that make up the atoms of the object you are applying force too, they just come very close. In fact, according to the Pauli exclusion principle, they can never "touch", and this, in combination with the electrostatic repulsion of the outer shell electrons of the atoms in your body and the atoms in the object is what causes said object to move.

If any of this is wrong by the way, feel free to correct me. I'm a simple amateur and I know very well I could be totally misrepresenting all of quantum physics. It just seemed like he has been looking for a more approachable, intuitive, and less technical answer than what has been given, and I was trying to provide one.

You also have to remember that when examining the force field around an object, the vector field in question doesn't actually exist; that is, the particle isn't shooting force carriers randomly out into space in all directions. It is a map of the force vectors that WOULD exist, were a particle in any particular location at that moment. Once a particle is placed in the space the particles exchange force carriers and the force vector described by the field at that particular location is applied to the particle.

In this case, once a particle is placed into the field, the particle "understands" , by some means, that she is in the right position and begins emitting force carriers. Symmetrically, the central object source of the field, "understands" that a particle came closer, and begins emitting force carriers. That looks like a nonsense to me.

In this case, once a particle is placed into the field, the particle "understands" , by some means, that she is in the right position and begins emitting force carriers. Symmetrically, the central object source of the field, "understands" that a particle came closer, and begins emitting force carriers. That looks like a nonsense to me.

At this point, I will have to admit my inadequacy. I really don't know. Perhaps someone with a better background in quantum physics can better explain in layman's terms. I myself would be interested in hearing how this works, if it's known.