Does anyone know what this rock is?

Sembiance

Looks like a rock on which a lot of salts deposited on in a crystalline fashion. I see a bit of green so that could be copper or nickle salts. The white could be something like calcium sulphate or phosphate.

• 1 month later...

It looks more like a quartz base to me. I've seen Emerald similar to the fourth picture. I have seen this crystal a number of times but I can't remember it's name.

I could get shot for this advice but......go down to the largest New Age, Healing Shop you can find. Belief in the healing powers of crystals requires a deep knowledge of the different types of crystals.

Let me know if you can't get an answer and I'll take the pics to a couple of my clients for identification.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Definitely a geode. If you do take it to a New Age shop don't listen to any of their advice as to properties. But they may actually know what it is. Geodes are commonly found in hollows in limestone or volcanic ash beds. The green coloration of the outside, and darker color, makes me lean to the opinion that this one was from a bed of volcanic ash. It would be richer in metals such as copper than limestone would be.

• 2 weeks later...

some times rock has a distinctive feature which relates to its original location,I mean specific area where u found it and its surrounding minerals/rocks . The physical properties are also helpful,the simplest test is to drop few drops of vinegar,or hydrochloric acid ,carbonates class is identified by the fumes coming after the acid treatment.