Java

Stusi

Well i'm learning Java in school at an agonizingly low pace, and was just wondering if you guys had a favorite website or two with some good tutorials/lessons for Java. Also, why cant java be used like a .exe? I hate having to install software on every computer just to get my programs to work.

Java can't be run as a .exe because it is best to keep it platform independent. Thats why you make .java files which can then be compiled on any platform. If you made .exe you won't be able to run the files on many systems.

For a good site on it, just go to the sun site, they have lots of good content there.

And Stusi, if you are a java programming beginner, I recommand you this book: Thinking in Java, you can download the pdf from the Internet....... This book is tremendous for me, at least, on Java, if you can read it with patience for half year.

Secondly, it is possible for java program to work nearly fast as C program, you simply use JIT compiler,but while you loose the ability on cross-platform....

Albert

Thats why you make .java files which can then be compiled on any platform.

That's not quite true. .java files are compiled into .class files, which can then be run through the java interpreter. The .class files are effectively platform independent.

Thinking in Java, you can download the pdf from the Internet....... This book is tremendous for me, at least, on Java, if you can read it with patience for half year.

I would believe that spending half a year learning java would be non sense. It is just a tool - a programming language, just learn the basics as quickly as you can, then a reference manual of functions should be enough. I started with a working program that had input and output in it. The fact is that if you want to utilise the power of java, you just can't waste a month learning how to take input output and what sorta variables are supported in java. A very good reference manual I bought was "Java: Complete Reference" by Schildt.

You just can't waste time learning programming languages, it is more important that you know how to write efficient programs. I have myself programmed in 4 different languages in the past 6 months (java, c, c++, and since last week assembly) if I sat down to get into details, I'd get no work done.