Netstat and Netsend

on windows XP if you go the run command and type 'netstat' a box comes up with some net stats in :rolleyes: , however it disappears immediately after i load it, why is this, can i disable it from auto-disappearing

5614, u don't just type in netstat in the run box. first run the command prompt. i.e type cmd in the run box. and then do netstat.

if u wanna save the output to a txt file. then just add "> filename.txt" at the end. the output will be saved in the current directory your working in. (i think thats the rite command)_

well /? and -? do the same thing, yes, i didnt know that!

not listed in the netstat help command thing [where it tells you what to type after netstat] you can do:

netstat -n

for personal IP info, this is not listed in the

netstat /?

list. :)

ok, people im confused, with the thread split and all so i'll start a new thread about the net send command;

ok, i think im doing something wrong with this net send, i type:

net send 67.18.105.36 hello

to send the message hello to that IP, however i get the error message:

message alias could not be found on the network.

what does that mean? what am i doing wrong?

first you said type cd until you get to C:\ alternatively you could type cd\ which would take you straight to the C:\ drive

and i still get the error message, i'll post a screen shot.......... [one sec]

but that doesnt sound right, if you remember the original article, someone was spamming an sfn member, cant remember who. [in the proxy thread]. and drz said that the spammer was probably using the net send command. when the sfn person blocked the port which net send uses, he stopped getting problems. that was an example of net send being used over the internet, which is why this whole thing started, coz i thought it would be useful if you could display messages like that on a friends computer.

yes i have heard of it, but the thing is that if you look at the website:

http://www.updatexp.com/messenger_service_spam.html

this is a link originally posted by drz, it mentions how spammers and hackers can use net send to send pop-ups to any IP address in the world, additionally, the original proxy thread was solved by disabling net send ports, which is probably because the messages were arriving via a net send command.

those two things cause me to think that net send can be sent over the internet.

my only doubt is that i cant do it, i just get the same error message over and over again [see previous page for screen shot].

WHAT?

it says:

"You can be sitting at your PC, and as long as you have a connection to the Internet that is active, you might get a box that pops up on your screen asking you to"

"What the spammers are doing is scanning thousands of IP addresses (the unique number your ISP gives to your PC whilst you are on the Internet) and checking to see if any of the PC's are open on UDP ports 135, 137 and 138 - TCP ports 135, 139 and 445."

but it also says:

"Every Windows XP (and 2000) machine has a "service" running behind the scenes called the "Messenger" service. This is a normal part of the operating system that is used by network administrators like myself to send messages to other users on a company network."

so which is which, or what is what.... like the top two quotes suggest this can be done over the net, the 3rd one suggests its only for a network, but then the internet is a network...

plus encrypted was getting pop-up messages, which we assume was via net send...

"You can be sitting at your PC, and as long as you have a connection to the Internet that is active, you might get a box that pops up on your screen asking you to"

Yes. But it doesn't say how, it merely goes on to describe a related function.

but it also says:

"Every Windows XP (and 2000) machine has a "service" running behind the scenes called the "Messenger" service. This is a normal part of the operating system that is used by network administrators like myself to send messages to other users on a company network."

The Messenger service is not the same as the net send command in DOS, although the latter is apparently reliant on the former.

so which is which, or what is what.... like the top two quotes suggest this can be done over the net, the 3rd one suggests its only for a network, but then the internet is a network...

plus encrypted was getting pop-up messages, which we assume was via net send...

Exploiting the RPC can be done over the net. Net send can't.

The internet is a network of networks, which is not the same as a network per se. No PC on my network is aware of the identity of any of the PCs on your network in any way, except for when our two networks communicate, in which case only the IP address of the routers would be exchanged.

Does that make more sense? I am sure it would be easier to understand if you knew how networks communicate, and if you knew what the tools you are trying to (ab)use actually do.