Windows SP2

Cap'n Refsmmat

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the problems that have cropped up for those who have installed XP SP2 include:

Some FTP clients will fail.

Streaming multimedia applications don't always work.

Some e-mail software won't properly update and show new mail.

There can be server-related problems (when running server functions), including a failure to recognize or reply to client requests. Look for problems with IIS and file sharing as well as some Remote Desktop functions.

One problem that is known to require an actual patch is Microsoft Business Solutions CRM Sales for Outlook 1.2.

There's a problem with Microsoft L2TP clients connecting to servers that use network address translation (NAT).

There are general problems that involve multiplayer games and instant messaging, but those shouldn’t affect most business users.

German security firm Heise Security has discovered flaws in XP SP2, and it believes these flaws could lead to viruses and worms that might cause new havoc for Windows

are some problems with SP2

but at the same time (as my last post):

Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) provides better protection against viruses, hackers, and worms, and includes Windows Firewall, Pop-up Blocker for Internet Explorer, and the new Windows Security Center.

so what do we do?

ok, i thought of that and i always have used another firewall. but there are other things in SP2 that could be needed:

pop-up blocker for IE is useful, but i've got firefox now for dodgy sites

whats the new windows security center?

and why on earth is it soooo big, sure theres loadsa stuff for the firewall, but my firewall/av combined takes up less space than the 80MB - 100MB SP2 and theres already a windows firewall there, so whats all the space taken up by?

but at the same time (as my last post):

Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) provides better protection against viruses' date=' hackers, and worms, and includes Windows Firewall, Pop-up Blocker for Internet Explorer, and the new Windows Security Center.

so what do we do?[/quote']

If that's all it does I'm not going to bother.

My defences are substantial.

I minimise my security risks by not using IE (for a start). I'm also behind my router and an internal firewall (which also controls program access to the net), so no Slammer-esque bugs for me. Need to get decent anti-virus software though, Norton seems to suck immensely. I'm blatently not bothering with SP2 because the moment I update, they'll find another 23,000 bugs and I'll have to pull all those as well.

Give it a month would probably be my advice.

yes, good call, more research shows that the 'windows secuirty centre' is a new section for the control panel, (if you are in category view). it allows you to more easily access stuff about your firewall.

the pop-up blocker is meant to work very well.

there are also other upgrades for IE, to improves IE's secuirty, although i doubt even now that it matches the security of firefox.

well, the serial key you installed windows with will be in the registries somewhere. so SP2 can look at the regestries and SP2 has programed in it 20 common illegal codes used. if you're serial key matches one of the illegal ones it has stored in its 'illegal serial keys' database, then it wont instal.

to access the regestries type:

start menu>run>regedit

dont play with that unless you know what you are doing, you can stop programs working if you edit their registries.

i assume that the SP2 scans the registries, it is quite likely that your windows serial key is somewhere else as well, and SP2 could scan that instead, but you windows serial key will certainly be in the registries somewhere.

for some reason, microsoft only programmed 20 illegal codes, so chances are you can find an illegal code which will work with SP2, although whether you really want it or not is debatable..... seemingly, so long as you have a firewall and anti-virus [not windows one] you dont really need SP2, oh yeah, and assuming you use firefox or similar, not IE, coz:

SP2 = IE upgrades &

Windows firewall/anti-virus upgrade.

Windows XP Service Pack 2: The 10% Problem

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid=1209&e=2&u=/cmp/20040901/tc_cmp/46200368

"Business with fewer than 100 XP machines, for instance, can anticipate problems with 11.9% of their systems, said O'Halloran, while those with more than 100 XP PCs can figure on issues with just 6.2% of their desktops."

i dont think its quite that simple, if you read post #53 on page 3 of this thread, there will be either a lot of or no problems: or here they are again:

Some FTP clients will fail.

Streaming multimedia applications don't always work.

Some e-mail software won't properly update and show new mail.

There can be server-related problems (when running server functions), including a failure to recognize or reply to client requests. Look for problems with IIS and file sharing as well as some Remote Desktop functions.

One problem that is known to require an actual patch is Microsoft Business Solutions CRM Sales for Outlook 1.2.

There's a problem with Microsoft L2TP clients connecting to servers that use network address translation (NAT).

There are general problems that involve multiplayer games and instant messaging, but those shouldn’t affect most business users.

German security firm Heise Security has discovered flaws in XP SP2, and it believes these flaws could lead to viruses and worms that might cause new havoc for Windows

if you have a program which is affected by SP2 all of the computers will have the same problem.... if a virus/worm/back-door comes out, if one computer is vulnerable, all will be. i say either your business is totaly screwed, or your lucky.

a lot of mulitplayer game companies are in the process of making an SP2 patch for their games, or so i read somewhere, i think the Times, if not the BBC site or sumin like that.

only online multiplayer games are included in that..... due to access rights and conflicts with the firewall upgrades in SP2, patches are already available, i have seen them for Halo and many other games.

SP2 also blocks some ports which some programs can't then unblock to use, users may have to manually 'enable' ports [problem with a similar effect as with the multiplayer games, so i'd thought i'd post it].

well the people who arent up to date with anti-spyware just have it coming for them, keep this thread updated with SP2 updates, when patches for it start coming out, maybe i get it then.

several programs now have SP2 patches, seems a lot of a hassle for not much.... a friend has it [not on sfn] and his computer is fine... and so are all of his online games. but then again, he could be a one off - so who knows?

Someone installed it on the family computer and (once again) it screwed things up. At the time, I couldn't open anything that origionaly came with windows on the computer. My Computer, My Documents, the Start Menu, Recycle Bin etc. all froze the computer upon clicking on them. IE wouldn't open either, which is alright because I have Firefox, but SP2 screwed something up with the internet so Firefox was worthless.

Calling Microsoft support got a message along the lines of: "If you a computer related question press 1. For all those who's computers got trashed by SP2, please press 2 and wait on hold while the millions of others experiencing your problem are handled"*

*Might not be actual message.

I just keep reminding myself about when I get my own computer...my own computer...for me.

i know a friend who had it fine, [i mentioned that before] you guys seem unlucky, the right click may have been a network feature a network admin enable, we have disable right click at school.

jordan: you have a problem with ports, um, if you know how to enable the ports you need for internet access do so, thats probably your problem. as i read somewhere [true]:

a microsoft spokesman "most of the problems regarding SP2 can be stopped by manual port forwarding" [the article then said] but how many home users know what port forwarding is?

i can forward ports, though it is different with different routers and firewalls, i done know exactly how one could forward ports on your SP2 firewall without ever seeing it, try looking it up on the net.

also disable the windows firewall, that should solve multiple problems.

I was feeling fairly suicidal the other night so decided to install it and see what happened. Nothing died (which is a plus side) but there have been a few little driver problems. On the whole, it's okay.

Having said this, my hard drive will probably melt as fate's way of being a pain.