Rationale?

rigney

To distinguish the Philosophical context of ignorance as opposed to stupidity, a person must first ask themselves two questions: Can I spell both correctly, and do I know the difference? Sadly, most of us don't!

In a constant endeavor to expand mans knowledge of his environment and the world in general, scientist's have made amazing revelations over the past centuries by re-discovering or uncovering diverse new fields. While medicine, engineering, and the physics of inner and outer space command and demand the largest portion of this pie, each field must be constantly reevaluated to bring us into better prospective. Our universe is one such topic.

During a brief Q & A session with his tribesmen, an ancient Shaman described how the world sits on the back of a giant turtle with its' legs extending the "rest of the way down"!!. And to where, one man asked? In reality, even with all of our Mathematical Genius and Philosophical Wizardry, we are only slightly closer to understanding the reality of our universe today, than did the Shaman.

From the "dark ages" up through the 18th century, to blaspheme authority with questions could mean a one way trip to the "stake", or pleasantly, the "rack" for a re-enlightenment. Little has changed since then. Suggesting new ideas, or rehashing old ones is taboo unless it has been sanctioned by the dictates of observance.

Yes, we must absolutely move forward if there is a chance for civilization to survive. But if we do not on occasion look back to see if we may have missed something, there is little reason to try rationalizing an extended future. How does that old saying go: "The operation was a suscess, but the patient died"!

Feel free to comment on this argument.

Edited by rigney

No intent to appear kabala Michel, I'm not that smart. But you have surely went on vacation, to the beach or a ball game and realized after the fact that there was something you hadn't taken along that may have been essential to the trip. From Pythagoras to Hawking, it's doubtful that any of these guys ever got it right the first time. If so it was a miracle. I'm sure Einstein must have bitten his tongue on many an occasion for overlooking a simple principal that he himself had laid down. No, there is nothing hidden in my meaning. Just thought it might be a good way to stoke the fire. Jump in! More than likely I'll not have an answer to any question asked of this agenda, but in all honesty, "consternation" is not the best way to fly!! Somewhere, exchanging ideas is what it's all about. See! even knowing that I'm out gunned, I still hope to read your reply.

Edited by rigney

Sure, all scientific theories were *developed* rather than discovered out of thin air. Some scientists took a lifetime to achieve these theories in a level where they were substantiated enough.

This is why this is a forum... to exchange ideas and talk. However, in science, ideas need to have some connection to reality otherwise they're irrelevant...

I am not sure I get what you're trying to say.

~moo

Thanks Moo, Perhaps this article should be taken off the forum. I meant no disrespect or would have it seen as an act of trying to be condescending, since I'm not capable. But I can see where a person has to be careful when voicing an opinion or making a suggestion. Accept my apology.

Edited by rigney

Thanks Moo, Perhaps this article should be taken off the forum. I meant no disrespect or would have it seen as an act of trying to be condescending, since I'm not capable. But I can see where a person has to be careful when voicing an opinion or making a suggestion. Accept my apology.

there's no apology needed, really, this is a discussion forum and we welcome discussions... I'm just not sure what you're discussing ;)