Quick question about the endosteum relating to bone?

scilearner

Hello everyone,

This is the definition of endosteum from wiki,

The endosteum (plural endostea) is a thin layer of connective tissue which lines the surface of the bony tissue that forms the medullary cavity of long bones.

However I'm of the beleif that endosteum lines the inner surface of all bones. Does it only line medullary cavity or internal surfaces of all bones. Do all bones have medullary cavities by the way. Thanks :)

With anatomy, if you arent sure Latin really helps you out.

latin prefixes and suffixes

Endo - in (as in endoscopy, endothermic)

Exo - out (exoskeleton, exostential, exothermic)

Edit: Oh right, I didnt read your question properly either, sorry...

Endosteum, has a microscopic structure similar to the periosteum, lining the medullary cavity. More specifically, endosteum covers the bones internal surfaces, including the inner surfaces of compact bone and trabecular bone surfaces.

because of the role of the endosteum (and periosteum) being implicit in the manufacture of new bone, and nutrition of the bone organ, I think you could safely assume it is present in all bones (although its not something I've ever wondered, so thanks for raising the question it's always good to get some extra knowledge!)

"The periosteum and endosteum are a source of new bone-forming cells (osteoprogenitor cells) and are described as possessing osteogenic potential. The periosteum and endosteum are also involved in bone repair after injury. Blood vessels of the periosteum and endosteum are involved in nutrition of the bone. "

http://www.technion.ac.il/~mdcourse/274203/lect5.html

Edited by Double K

With anatomy, if you arent sure Latin really helps you out.

latin prefixes and suffixes

Endo - in (as in endoscopy, endothermic)

Exo - out (exoskeleton, exostential, exothermic)

Edit: Oh right, I didnt read your question properly either, sorry...

Endosteum, has a microscopic structure similar to the periosteum, lining the medullary cavity. More specifically, endosteum covers the bones internal surfaces, including the inner surfaces of compact bone and trabecular bone surfaces.

because of the role of the endosteum (and periosteum) being implicit in the manufacture of new bone, and nutrition of the bone organ, I think you could safely assume it is present in all bones (although its not something I've ever wondered, so thanks for raising the question it's always good to get some extra knowledge!)

"The periosteum and endosteum are a source of new bone-forming cells (osteoprogenitor cells) and are described as possessing osteogenic potential. The periosteum and endosteum are also involved in bone repair after injury. Blood vessels of the periosteum and endosteum are involved in nutrition of the bone. "

http://www.technion.ac.il/~mdcourse/274203/lect5.html

Thanks Double K :)