mass spectrum

shani

I got the FAB mass spectrum of a compound synthesized by me. the technician first run the glcerine and obtained a spectra of glycerine with back ground was obtained, then solid sample firstly dissolved in chloroform and then subjected to Mass analysis by FAB ionization technique.

There was no any difference in the both spectras. what i should do further to have evaluation of molecular ion identification of my organic compound:-(

I got the FAB mass spectrum of a compound synthesized by me. the technician first run the glcerine and obtained a spectra of glycerine with back ground was obtained, then solid sample firstly dissolved in chloroform and then subjected to Mass analysis by FAB ionization technique.

There was no any difference in the both spectras. what i should do further to have evaluation of molecular ion identification of my organic compound:-(

Hi I'm not sure if I completely understand what you're asking but it sounds like the FAB might not be ionizing your compound. Another possibility(which is less likely) is there is a problem with your instrument. Do you have any other ionization techniques available to you? You might want to ask the technician to run an EI with the highest eV.

hopefully this helps if not let me know more about what you expected your compound to be and maybe I can offer some other suggestions. Good luck. :(

To make a difference you would not look at two similar things. If you were to look at two similar things then they would have the same molecules. If you were to take a liquid version of the same stuff, you would have the same stuff again if you cooled it, yes? You will have different things if it dissolved chemically, as the chloroform is inside it, so it is different. Look harder...