IVs

DreamLord

I've had to get IV treatments quite a bit from the hospital, and the doctors always have troubles finding my vains. The guy who put the IV in found what he said was a 'good vain' once. The next time I went he said that the vain closes after the IV treatment so he couldn't use that one again. I don't see how this could be, I mean, wouldn't you run out of vains? Was this man seriously misinformed, or does something like that really happen to vains after IV treatments?

First of all, it's "vein".

But seriously, I don't think that's quite right. I'm not a doctor, but if that's true, how do people with serious injuries get enough IVs? Perhaps the vein gets a "plug" in it after you have the IV treatment, and the vein is unusable until it goes away later.

But I'm not a doctor, so sorry, I don't really know.

i'm not sure why he said the "vein closes after the IV treatment so he couldn't use that one again", but i presume it would be better to get the needle in on the other arm, or another part of the anatomy, rather than the vein that he used previously, which probably needs some time to heal.

I know that the veins scar after you pierce it so the next time you attempt to pierce the vein there it will be more difficult. But I don't think this is the reason why veins get used up after they are used. I know that drug users "run out of veins" to shoot in after they use them alot. I don't believe they are actually running out of veins; I think that somehow the veins shrink or move farther in after you use them or somehow become unusable for IVs. Maybe some veins do scar up and shrivel away and then your body relies on veins deeper in. You could use the term Phlebotomy on google and see what it returns.

I know that the veins scar after you pierce it so the next time you attempt to pierce the vein there it will be more difficult. But I don't think this is the reason why veins get used up after they are used. I know that drug users "run out of veins" to shoot in after they use them alot. I don't believe they are actually running out of veins; I think that somehow the veins shrink or move farther in after you use them or somehow become unusable for IVs. Maybe some veins do scar up and shrivel away and then your body relies on veins deeper in. You could use the term Phlebotomy on google and see what it returns.

That's what I thought it might've been. Because I have very small veins to begin with. And if they became smaller, then... Yeah, they'd be pretty hard to find and use.