Redshifting

Is it possible to redshift light?

For example, can you take ultraviolet radiation and, using a lens or some other contraption, shift it into the visible spectrum? I don't mean interpret it as visible light, I mean physically change it into visible light.

If you move the source away from the observer it will redshift.

Also there are crystals in which you can do nonlinear optics and get frequency doubling (the direction it's usually done) but you can also get difference frequencies, and go to lower values. So yes, it's possible.

yes it is possible

you see the effect in actio when you look at the stars, most of the stuff you see in space, has red-shifted, because the universe it expanding.

infact, one of the proofs that the universe is expanding, is the red-shift-effect.

again because light is involved, the only reason that is observed is the great speed at which galaxies r movin apart.

If you wanna replicate that in a lab and achieve a decent amount of shift, it'll b quite difficult.

Thanks for all the input. I am aware of the redshift that occurs as a result of distant objects moving away from us at great velocities, but as Pulkit mentioned, that is pretty difficult to recreate in a lab which is what I'm looking for: a method of redshifting light artificially.

Also there are crystals in which you can do nonlinear optics and get frequency doubling (the direction it's usually done) but you can also get difference frequencies, and go to lower values. So yes, it's possible.

Thanks, I will try to find more info on this.

You can certainly change the wavelength of EM-radiation.

Eg.Compton effect : Wavelength of X-ray changes in sub atomic interaction.

I don't know of a method to do it for ultra violet light.

I am curious, do they make use of this 'Compton Effect' in X-Ray and Gamma Ray telescopes?

Heh, I find the question sort of funny, because redshifting applies only to light, you can't redshift anything else.

As for doing with some contraption, I'd say the answer is probably, but it would be difficult. Its usually done over rediculous distances or with a large gravitational field. Uh, you have to figure out some way to make the photon less energetic. How, I do not know, should be possible however.

When you say 'light' you mean the whole electromagnetic spectrum I assume?!?

Oh of course. Light=photons=Electromagnetic radiation. Just that the first post asked if it was possible to redshift light, which is why i phrased it that way I guess.