Confused about light!!

scilearner

Hello everyone,

I'm confused about light. I know when a photon with certain matching energy comes, it excites the electrons to a higher orbital, and releases a photon when it comes back.

1. What happens to the orginal photon that lost energy?

2. I then read about absorption and reflection, then they were talking about resonance. I don't understand how what I described above with photons apply to reflection and absorption. Can anyone explain me to me with photon theory what happens in absorption and reflection.

1/ when a photon lose energy it's ,in other words, transforming from its form to other forms, "gone" is not a defined word in physics

2/ notice that photons come from sun, they do not come in "Void" ,do they ?! no .. they reflect and get through every particle of air/dust/water/..etc through the atmosphere, and all of that until it gets to us on the earth surface !

thanx

1/ it is gone. if all its energy is in the form of potential energy in the atom then there is no photon. you cannot have a photon of zero energy.

2/ that has nothing to do with the question. yes a lot of photons come from the sun, but we have things on earth that produce photons. you're looking at one right now.