Quantum Mechanical Bell telegraph

admiral_ju00

I found nothing for the above mentioned theory on the site so hopefully this thread won't be like almost all of my other ones and someone might be able to shed some more light on this.

Defying Einstein with a Twist

Einstein's special theory of relativity strictly forbids anything from traveling faster than the speed of light. A quantum mechanical Bell telegraph, however, may defy this prohibition with a twist -- literally.

The so-called up and down "spin" states characteristic of quantum particles would substitute for telegraphic dots and dashes. Spin is a particle's intrinsic angular momentum and may be visualized as a left or right-handed rotation -- or twist -- about an imaginary axis.

In theory, a Bell telegraph could send an instant signal from a particle on Earth entangled with a second particle on a planet light years away -- a special configuration called a "Bell state."

http://science.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=19055

What are your thoughts on this?

Is this bell telegraph able to break the speed of light?

I need to poitn out a few things:

"A device that transmits information faster than light speed has always been possible, at least in theory," telecommunications engineering professor and former Bell Laboratories director Ira Jacobs told News Factor. "In practice, such a device would present monumental engineering hurdles that might be overcome by futuristic engineers," he added.

That's a very unorthodox view and I don't know why anyone would expect a telecommunications engineer to have any real knowledge of this area.

The whole piece is a non-story really because, nothing new is actually being proposed - no-one at the present time has found even a theoretical way to transmit information faster than light using QM, all the article is is a collection of speculative quots.

I guess I worded that thing a bit wrong in the initial post.

But considering this paper

and the theoretical telegraph, then it would be possible to break the c barrier IF such device existed, right?

Also, one other question just occured, the current systems: eg: probes, etc, can be given a boost in speed by a gravitational swing or two, let's for a minute assume that we have a plane(or something) that is capable of traveling at the speed of light, will a gravi_assist increase the speed of the device any???

I guess I worded that thing a bit wrong in the initial post.

But considering this paper

and the theoretical telegraph' date=' then it would be possible to break the c barrier IF such device existed, right?[/quote']

As far as we know it's theorertically impossible, read that article on Bell's inequality that you posted, as it covers this.

Also, one other question just occured, the current systems: eg: probes, etc, can be given a boost in speed by a gravitational swing or two, let's for a minute assume that we have a plane(or something) that is capable of traveling at the speed of light, will a gravi_assist increase the speed of the device any???

No.

Is that because gravity has no influence on the light?

I realize that photons have no mass, or at least there's no way to stop the photon and measure it, but is that why or are there other reasons?

Also, since light/photons, whatever, have no mass, why isn't light able to get out of a black hole? What other mechanisms are in play if any are known?

Is that because gravity has no influence on the light?

I realize that photons have no mass' date=' or at least there's no way to stop the photon and measure it, but is that why or are there other reasons? [/quote']

gravity does influence light, it's just that the local co-ordinate velocity of light is always c, though that doesn't mrean it appears to be c for all observers.

Also, since light/photons, whatever, have no mass, why isn't light able to get out of a black hole? What other mechanisms are in play if any are known?

All worldlines in a black hole intesect the singularity.

All worldlines in a black hole intesect the singularity.

Heh, I know I've tied up more of your time than you're probably want already, but is there any way you can elaborate a bit further on that?

Thanks, your responces are much appreciated on this matter.