Making a clone of yourself

Genecks

Underlying idea: The clone will start off as a child.

Two parts to this thread:

1. Making a general clone of yourself as if having a child

2. Making a clone of yourself with the purpose of making it a prodigy.

1)

If you could make a clone of yourself, would you?

If yes, why?

If not, why?

Do you think other people are justified in doing such?

What ethics do you consider to surround this issue?

2)

Would you make a clone to be a prodigy of yourself?

If yes, why?

If not, why?

Edited by Genecks

Interesting topic, that hasn't been brought up.

I personally would not make a clone of myself for any purpose, let alone the listed two.

Something about cloning weirds be out, this opinion isn't based on anything scientifically though.

I don't think I would be in favor of it catching on though, simply because sexual reproduction is key in producing fitter offspring.

Underlying idea: The clone will start off as a child.

Two parts to this thread:

1. Making a general clone of yourself as if having a child

2. Making a clone of yourself with the purpose of making it a prodigy.

1)

If you could make a clone of yourself, would you?

If yes, why?

If not, why?

Not with current technology -- I don't think the result would be as healthy as a regular child.

2)

Would you make a clone to be a prodigy of yourself?

If yes, why?

If not, why?

I'm not sure that's possible.

---

How about making a clone to harvest organs from? >:D

What do you mean by a "prodigy?"

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

How about making a clone to harvest organs from? >:D

Making a full clone would of course by unethical, and no different than keeping any person for the same purpose. I don't see any problem with cloned individual organs, or even most of a body (without a brain).

Edited by Sisyphus
Consecutive posts merged.

Responses:

1) Assume that current technology permits

2) By prodigy, I mean a person to carry on and continue your life ideals and goals

3) I've maybe watched only two episodes of "The Island," and I thought the show was stupid. I think that was years ago.

What I mean is, a clone is a different person. You can't force a clone to "carry on your goals" any more than you can force your natural child. So the question doesn't really make sense to me. As far as whether attempting it is "ethical," I would just say that the answer as to what is ethical is not different than if you were asking about your natural children.

What I mean is, a clone is a different person. You can't force a clone to "carry on your goals" any more than you can force your natural child. So the question doesn't really make sense to me. As far as whether attempting it is "ethical," I would just say that the answer as to what is ethical is not different than if you were asking about your natural children.

Well I can't disagree with you there. I don't think it would be ethical to institutionalize anyone, let alone a clone. Do you think it would be ethical to clone embryos for harvesting organs, of course assuming that one would have all the scientific know how to successfully do this.

I don't get it. How would you do that?
What I mean is, a clone is a different person. You can't force a clone to "carry on your goals" any more than you can force your natural child. So the question doesn't really make sense to me.

Please watch the movie Æon Flux. Consider that a person can be determined or socially engineered.

Aeon Flux revolves around the idea that most of humanity has been eradicated, thus people have been cloned para repopulate Earth.

The governing bodies makes clones of themselves and primes the children to continue the system of government that has been developed.

As far as whether attempting it is "ethical," I would just say that the answer as to what is ethical is not different than if you were asking about your natural children.

Valid.

Edited by Genecks