Where can I find these parts (what precisely do I need)?

Icefire

as some of you may know, I have a theory of making an electric car where the drivetrain is basically a tire/ring being suspended by magnets.

here's a lousy approximation:

attachment.php?attachmentid=2442&stc=1&d=1269367371

the central magnets will be the same idea as a regular clothes dryer electric motor, except inside-out and split into four different quarters, each independently controlled. each segment will induce an electric field that will rotate the ring clockwise or counterclockwise, depending on which one is more powerful.

now, here's what I think I need:

four iron (or something lighter but magnetic) rings, about three inches in diametre, one inch wide and a thickness of 1/4 inch. the scale will change depending on what I can find.

for the magnets, I'm pretty sure I'll have to wind them myself. Yards and yards of thin copper wire (or most likely dedicated wire for making magnets), insulation to prevent short circuiting, and a frame to wrap the wires around, most likely made out of plastic or carved out of wood.

the main frame connecting the four magnet hubs I'll probably build out of scrap wood or something.

more thin wiring to connect the components, probably shielded/cheap wire.

a power source, most likely a dc transformer. it will be connected to the frame by a long wire to conserve weight.

and, the most important components: the controller system. I know for a fact that I will need something that will adjust the electricity sent to the magnets based on what the sensors say, to make sure that the magnets stay in the middle of the rings and not touching any of the sides. I'm not exactly sure how to do this, all i know is that I need sensors that will tell the acceleration of the unit and the location of the magnets in the rings, which are sent to a computer which maintains the balance by adjusting the voltage of the magnets in order to alter the repusion/attraction forces really quickly, and accept input to move the unit forward and back (steering will be in the next project).

I believe that the frame and the things that the magnetic wire is wrapped around will be easy to make (wood), but advice would be appreciated.

I don't know where I'll get the rings from, probably a local machinist

What is the best wire for making magnets, or a chap and easy to find alternative?

I think I can scrounge up some cheap wiring from The Source™ or something

I don't know how powerful the transformer has to be, whether a car battery will work or something else.

And I have absolutely no idea what to use for the controller system, because this thing will will be balancing the magnets in the middle of the ring while controlling the rotation of the ring.

help?

er.jpg

Edited by Icefire