Help me network over the internet plz

DimShadow7

Hey guys,

I need help. I am trying to access my harddrive from locations other than my computer, and I am having issues doing it through ftp. Is there anyway I would be able to set up my computer so that whereever i am in the world, I could log onto my home computer and pull off files from it?

Thanks in advance,

DimShadow7

i wont ask why, but you are effectively hacking yourself!!!! [in a way!!]

i think the easiest way, would probably be to just store the files on a USB key, which can now hold up to 2GB of info!, at a price

alternatively, i think a DVD-RW drive can come cheap, and the disks are getting cheaper as well, they can hold 4.7GB of info norm, but there will probably be a bigger disk somewhere

the reason i suggest that, opposed to trying to do as you want to, is beacause what you want to do, has so many things that can go wrong, the most common is compatability, also your firewall might try and stop you!

as you said, "i am having issues", so would I! its not the easiest thing to do!

you could link your computer to your own website, which you would have to make, in your website, insert download buttons, from which you could download files, which would be located on ur HDD, other than that, im not sure!!

[not much help, but something to think about!]

I need help. I am trying to access my harddrive from locations other than my computer' date=' and I am having issues doing it through ftp. Is there anyway I would be able to set up my computer so that whereever i am in the world, I could log onto my home computer and pull off files from it?

[/quote']

Well, there is http, irc, bittorrent, telnet, etc. It all depends on how sofisticated you want to get. FTP was specifically made for file-sharing so I suggest you stick with it.

if your using windows you can easily setup a shared folder, in which you would keep the files you want access to, setup a password and folder rights, and boom.

The trick, as was mentioned, would be wether or not your ip is static. If so, get your ip address (incase you don't know http://www.whatismyip.com ) and from any other browser just type //whatever.your.ip.is/nameofsharedfolder and it should prompt you to enter a password.

Of course, I'm getting ahead of myself. What kind of OS are you using at home, and what kind of OS's will you be using to access the files?

Another option would be some of this Gotomypc type software thats been popping up.

Or you could setup a website, host your files on it, so long as they aren't to large. In my life, I find myself working with text documents alot, so what I do, is simply get a web-based email, like yahoo, and email myself the document I'm working on. This way I can access it at any pc with an internet connection.

My main problem, I think :), is that my firewall keeps blocking access from any computer outside my network. I am running Serv-U so I've got the ftp server, but I can only access the ftp server from my own network, which is of no use to me.

Two things:

1. Make sure port forwarding is turned on in your router for the port on the computer running the ftp server.

2. Make sure the firewall is not blocking incomming ftp requests from outside your network.