Some questions on names and purposes of some molecules

D'Nalor

I've been doing organic chemistry in my year 12 chemistry class, and I wanted to know how I'd go about naming certain chemicals. My teacher and I went through some of the molecules that i'd drawn, and found the only names we could think of for them. but, I'd like to know how they really are named, if they actually exist, and (if they do exist), what they are used for. the list is attached, so if you can help me, that would be appriciated.

Hard-to-name molecules.doc

First: 6-isopropylundecane

Second: 6-(2,4-dimethylpentan-3-yl)undecane

Third: 6,6-bis(2,4-dimethylpentan-3-yl)undecane

Fourth: 4,4-bis(2,4-dimethylpentan-3-yl)-3,5-diisopropyl-2,6-dimethylheptane

On the first: sack your teacher because he forgets the longest-alkane rule. Or was this a homework exercise?

Nope, wasn't a homework excersise; I merely did it out of interest. We are familiar with the longest chain rule, it's just that we haven't heard of an isopropyl group. 2nd and 3rd make sense, I hadn't known that you could assign those groups groups of their own(at least with the names). 4th one makes sense as well now, thanks very much.

It doesn't answer my qusetion of: Do they exist, and what are they used for if they do?

thanks for the names though.

Now that I think of it, would what would a groups like these be called(just assume that they're on a large chain. ignore the ~s, they're just placeholders for the ASCII pics, because it didn't work without them):

1.~~~CH3-CH2-CH-CH2-CH3

~~~~~~~~~~~|

2.~~~~CH3-CH-CH2-CH2-CH3

~~~~~~~~~|

I know these might seem like easy things for a year 12 student to be asking, but I'm in australia, a country not renowned for its fantastic education system. I'm even in Queensland, the state that is well known in australia for having the worst education system. That's a good enough excuse for such a pathetic question, isn't it?

Edited by D'Nalor
ASCII drawing stuffed up

pentan-3-yl and pentan-2-yl, the number in this case defines the carbon linked to the higher chain.

As to what your written compounds are used for, no clue. They make interesting molecules to name however.

(And to be honest, i let a pirated but otherwise $2000 dollar software figure out the last 2 molecules :D )

Just because its hard to draw doesnt mean that it doesn't exist....drawing the structure of DNA of paper in the form it exists in cells would be extremely difficult and hard to do. All of those are pretty simple molecules and I'd expect all of them to exist.

I can think of a synthesis for all of those molecules so you could in theory make them and see. The best option would be to do a literature seach anf find out if anyone has a found a use for them.

I found references to all the molecules... but they were all from this forum, with the exception of 6-isopropylundecane. even that however was actually 4-ethyl-6-isopropylundecane. from just the quick glance down the page, it is used in acrylic paint for some purpose. it wasn't what i wanted, so i didn't really bother looking too far into it. apparently then, those molecules exist only to puzzle students like me, who are the only people who'd really care. Ah well. maybe this thread will inspire someone out there.

Ok, I've thought some more about these, and now i'm wondering: how do you name these groups? ~ is once again a place holder, and =- is a triple bond

CH3-C-CH3

~~~||

CH2-C-CH3

~~~|

CH=-C-CH-C-=CH

~~~~~|

CH2=C=CH-CH-CH=C=CH2

~~~~~~~~|

CH

|||

C

|

That's all the simple ones for now. I'll put in some really complex ones if I can't figure out how to name them from this. I've Given up looking for signs of the previous ones existance, they obviously don't exist at the moment, or aren't on the internet.

Please help me name them

1) propan-2-ylidene

2) 1-propen-2-yl

3) penta-1,4-diyn-3-yl

4) hepta-1,2,5,6-tetraen-4-yl

5) ethynyl

-idene exit = the link to the main chain is a double bond, triple bonded carbons can never have sidechains

Edited by Fuzzwood

Thanks for clearing that up. how about this one?

It's not quite as big or complicated as some of the other ones, but it would be interesting to name anyway. There was an even more complicated one, but I can't manage to draw it in ASCII, so I might try to scan it from my hand drawn ones.

Alright then. how about this one? It's much more complicated, so I hope you appreciate it. I am actually really interested as to how you'd even begin to go about naming it. Heh, I'd love to write up a whole bunch of these molecules on the board in class and name them, That'd be hilarious. now that i think about it, this is a slightly boring molecule. next time I'll put in some metals as well maybe.>:D

• 3 weeks later...

Right, although noone's even looked at the thing(easter holidays for everyone, I think), I realised that It isn't actaully a very good organic substance. Too many things that don't make it a good example of a good organic molecule. I have revised it, and here it is, made anew.

Your previous one:

(E)-(2-((4-((4-(cyclobuta-1,2-dienyloxyimino)-3-hydroxy-1,2-diazetidin-3-yl)fluoromethoxy)-1,2-diazetidin-3-ylaminooxy)ethynylthio)tetrazetidin-1-yl)(1,2,3-oxadithietan-4-yl)methanethione

I am NOT gonna bother figuring out which is which, it was amusing however, seeing the name getting built as i was drawing the molecule. :)

And with your revisions:

(E)-(4-(((2-((4-((cyclobuta-1,2-dienyloxy)methylene)-3-hydroxy-1,2-diazetidin-3-yl)fluoromethoxy)cyclobutyl)methoxy)ethynylthio)-1,2-diazetidin-3-yl)(oxetan-2-yl)methanethione

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now THAT is an impressive name!!!!

I'm very glad I didn't try to name that myself, that would have been horible. I would be quite intrested in actually knowing how to name something like that. The (E) at the front is something wierd though. Do you have any idea as to what it means?

Obviously, the person that designed that program did a good job. probably why it normally costs $2000.

Back soon with more evil molecules, that program's going to get a workout...>:D