Faraday's Cage

is relevant to us because if you look at the bottom right stunt' date=' apparently there is a guy in that cage being electrocuted by that tesla coil and of course as we have learnt, he will be totaly safe, because of the faraday cage effect.[/quote']

Where does it say he is being electrocuted?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh* bad use of the word, soz man, the sparks are flying at his cage, he is not actually being electrocuted because of the effects of the faraday cage, therefore the guy is safe, the tesla coil and the electricity is trying to electrocute him...... but they cant, stopped by the faraday cage.

(i'll edit the post, but you will still have the original quote, :D)

are we in agreement to say that different amounts of current can flow at different points in the same 'body' to more the Al tube than fred the pear, and more down a metalic rod that a human is holding onto?

are we in agreement to say that different amounts of current can flow at different points in the same 'body' to more the Al tube than fred the pear' date=' and more down a metalic rod that a human is holding onto?

[/quote']

Yes? But that’s doesn’t mean I’m agreeing that the current would be noticeable.

*sigh* bad use of the word' date=' soz man, the sparks are flying at his cage, he is not actually being electrocuted because of the effects of the faraday cage, therefore the guy is safe, the tesla coil and the electricity is trying to electrocute him...... but they cant, stopped by the faraday cage.

(i'll edit the post, but you will still have the original quote, )[/quote']

Oh, I see. :P

Yes? But that’s doesn’t mean I’m agreeing that the current would be noticeable.

um, im not looking for an argument here, just checking my understanding.... and in theory that you could have different amounts of current flowing down different parts of a single wire.

i ask because ive never thought about it before, cant think of an experiment to prove it wrong or right, just wondered, it sounds unusual, but yet may work [proved by fred the pear, lightning supplied by tesla coil - thanks to lance!] so what do you think?

so are you trying to say that it is is possible but maybe very small difference?

The difference is only small in that experiment because the resistance of the foil is so small. If the foil had the same resistance as the pear (imagine two people hugging) Then the current would be split equally between the two.

but if you had a person and a metalic copper pole [for example, chose a common metal!'] then more lightning would go down the Cu pole, then down the person?

Correct.

see above question, also, there are not many practical uses for faraday cages, they are used in microwaves, to protect people near by..... but other than that, i cant really see many practical uses.

Let me think about this. There has got to be more than that. hmmmm...

Let me think about this. There has got to be more than that. hmmmm...

there is, and in the most surprising of places!

take appart a normal everyday radio, you`ll see little square tin cans with a ferrite grub screw in the middle, usualy for IF trimming etc...

they are in steel cans for a reason (see topic).

I COULD have gone into stuff about Military equip protection, and also Aircraft boards, but not many could have related to that.

I think almost everyone has access to a radio and a screwdriver though :)

thats weird, i once built a home made radion [rubbish quality, but anyway] it didnt have the things like what YT said, maybe only proper ones have it! but as there are radiowaves all over the air anyway, i hardly see the point in shielding the radio.

just remember, some buildings have metal architecture, this acts as a semi-faraday-cage, making mobile phone connection abysmal, however it is still not a proper farday cage e.g. totally enclosed, however due to the massive waves lengths of radio waves and microwaves, it is effectively impossible for the mobile's waves to escape from the building, as there is metal below [floor] and above [ceiling] and the walls are just like a tiny hole, compared to the waves - a hole which is too small for them to escape through.

thats weird' date=' i once built a home made radion [rubbish quality, but anyway'] it didnt have the things like what YT said, maybe only proper ones have it! but as there are radiowaves all over the air anyway, i hardly see the point in shielding the radio.

AM radios are simple and don`t NEED them, you`ll not make a good FM radio without them though :)

and you hardly see the point???? well it`s because you`re NOT sheilding the radio, just the IF stages, that`s why :)

a good AM radio will use them also, hence I didn`t specify in my original post, as even a cheap crappy AM radio will use those coils (we call them "tanks" or "cans" as slang).

"cans" not to be confused with headphones, it`s taken in context :)

• 5 months later...

If EM radiation is released inside a faraday cage what happens to it?

Is it absorbed, continually reflected like a mirror or what?

(I'm talking about an example such as a microwave (the cooking thing!) which is surrounded in a faraday cage, what happens to the EM-microwaves inside it?)

(I'm talking about an example such as a microwave (the cooking thing!) which is surrounded in a faraday cage' date=' what happens to the EM-microwaves inside it?)[/i']

They are absorbed by your hot pocket. ;)