Supercooling of Cetyl Alcohol and Palmitic Acid

Caleb

I am homeschooled and for my at home chemistry course I am learning about the melting points in various chemicals. As a bonus in the material, I am supposed to try to supercool Cetyl Alcohol and Palmitic Acid. But I can't seem to get the chemicals below their freezing points without freezing them. :confused:

To get things to supercool they need to be free from dust etc. Filtering hot liquids can be a pain in the neck but these two should be OK. Heat them to well over their melting points and filter the liquids, then leave them undisturbed (with a thermometer in them) and see if they supercool.

To get things to supercool they need to be free from dust etc. Filtering hot liquids can be a pain in the neck but these two should be OK. Heat them to well over their melting points and filter the liquids, then leave them undisturbed (with a thermometer in them) and see if they supercool.

I only have about 5 grams of both of the substances so I used a capillary tube instead. Does that change anything?