Need to buy a pair of speakers , what do u reccommend??

bloodhound

note that i am an audiophile, and i want a decent 2.1 speaker system. been looking round and i am not sure what to buy. i am very close to buying Altec Lansing VS4121 . altough its quite expensive and with less money i could buy a 6.1 creative inspire6100 set. except i will have to buy an external soundcard for me laptop which costs quite a lot. so lets have your opinions.

If I were you, I'd buy yourself a nice receiver. Although mine is a tad outdated (2000), I love my kenwood. It has dolby digital 5.1 sound. I get 100 watts per channel which will crush your chest, and then I added an additional, powered 200W 15 in. cerwin vega sub. For 2.1 sound I'd go with 10 in. woofers all around (the fronts and the sub). Depending on where you live, you'll blast your neighbors away.

When I choose to make an investment into some new toys, the first thing I do is set my budget. THen I read, read and read some more to see what has been recommended. WIth audio, remember what you hear is what you get, so see if you can get a demo. Good luck!

i dont know if i will be able to get a demo of the altec i am talking about. i might buy it anyway. reading reviews on the net is hell. one says its brilliant. one says avoid it. but overall, it has very favourable reviews.

I bought the Sony STR-DE585 amplifier/receiver off of eBay the other day for about £65 (inc P&P). It pumps out 100W/channel, which is rather nice, and has 5.1 Dolby Digital decoding. I just have to get the actual speakers, although atm I have it hooked up to some rather nice Bose speakers of my dads.

Theres always the great debate about whether or not Bose are "real" stereo speakers. I've done my entire home theatre in bose (301's in the front, double cubes for the rears, center channel) along with a 15' powered cerwin vega sub. After finally finishing it, I realized there was no way I could play it at even half it's maximum level. Anywho, I love the sound of my Bose system, although in a cost VS. quality thing, I'd probably go with a different brand next time.

Theres always the great debate about whether or not Bose are "real" stereo speakers. I've done my entire home theatre in bose (301's in the front, double cubes for the rears, center channel) along with a 15' powered cerwin vega sub. After finally finishing it, I realized there was no way I could play it at even half it's maximum level. Anywho, I love the sound of my Bose system, although in a cost VS. quality thing, I'd probably go with a different brand next time.

That sounds like a pretty sweet sound system. But as you say, they don't really come in cheap.

its a privilage. not a necessity. even if u want to hook up to your tv. you will need a decoder, which will set you some more money

Yes and no I guess.

I have a home theater reciever I use for my computer sound.

It just takes stereo now but I'll use digital 5.1 when I can afford the necessary adapter. You can also use the system for movie use. (Mine happens to be a DVD/reciever b/c that's cheaper. It sounds great and its cost effective [$300 cad].)

I'm confused alt.......are you saying the receiver doesn't have 5.1 encoding? Instead of paying a lot of money for an adapter couldn't you just buy a DVD player? They're only like $50 at Wal-mart right now.

About the bose comment I made about not being "real" speakers. What I meant by that was the way they market they're technologies. For instance, the 301 speakers I have use this "direct/reflect" technology, which supposedly aims the individual woofers in different directions so that the music and sound bounces off the walls in weird ways and such IMO they sound nice, but the "direct/reflect" technology is B.S. Also, look at the Bass module's and they're ever so famous cubes. I've listened to both and they sound good. But they advertise the cubes as using these super special high quaity magnets and blah blah blah. They claim to produce a "full spectrum" of sound from the tiny cubes and bass module due to they're "inovative technology". From what I know (I suck at physics), the only way you can achieve deep bass, is from creating a sound wave with a large amplitude. This can only be done by a larger woofer (which is why bass speakers are usually above 10"). So the laws of physics dictate that no matter how many super powered magnets and "innovative technology" you shove into a cube, you'll never get a good bass response.

Like I said however, I have a lot of bose equipment. I think it sounds good, just not worth the price. My cubes sound good, but they're used as rears and def. not as front speakers (background effects, special effects etc.). Along the same lines, my bass speaker is a 15" cerwin vega, and IMO opinion it would eat any bose bass modeul alive.