Fecal continence

we had a small group discussion in our class and our topic was this. we can't agree on which muscle is the most important for fecal continence.

we argued whether its the internal or the external anal sphincter. I looked for it everywhere and I can't find the answer. sources don't specifically say it's the IAS or the EAS.

if you know the answer, please help :)

well, a quick wiki shows that the internal one is involuntarily controlled and that the exterior one is under partial voluntary control. so both would have a role toplay in continence. normally, the interior one but when your really needing to let one loose, the exterior one comes into play.

Everything is important.

The importance will depend on the situation.

I would set forth the idea that if you lose control of the external sphincter, then you'd have some serious problems.

Given the ability for no usage of "will," then consider what happens when you do need to go to the bathroom.

Thus, importance for social creates, such as humans, I hypothesize, will be shown in needing to retain waste through voluntary control.