The Cicada invasion!

Guest Slihp

Guest Slihp

Which is the nearest planet that has a 17 year cycle around its sun?

The reason for this post is i recently discovered that the cicada only emerges once every 17 years, i find it hard to belive that beetles have a calander bellow ground and therefore have a theory that they originated from another solar system, from a world which had a 17 year cycle around its sun.

I understand that my theory is ultimately open for critisism but any explination to why they only come out once every 17 years would be appriciated..

Thank alot, slihp

It has been argued that a 'not-trivially-small' prime number gives a good survival chance so that predators would have a hard time getting a matching population growth to take advantage of the cicadas' appearance. The survival strategy is dubbed predator satiation aka "you can't eat us all."

Oh, and there are 13-year cicadas as well.

more and yet more

Since you've created 2 of the same threads for some unknown reason, I'll answer it here.

Most organisms, including some bacteria have what's known as the Internal biological clock - aka Circadian Rhythm.

Other than that, there are other factors, many of which are genetic.

A case in point is Puberty.

• 1 month later...