To Increase Intelligence... How?

Syn

To me, the question, can anyone become smarter, is like asking, can anyone increase their lung capacity. Unless you're a professional runner, and even then, this can be debated, you aren't close to realizing your potential. I believe that every human brain has a potential, and also, a set limit to which they can no longer improve, but this limit is completely unknown to most of us. Many people would say, there is no limit to the human mind, that it is like time and never reaching it's limit, but in this case, I would strongly disagree because time does have a limit (obviously). It's limited to it's parts which keep going forward. It doesn't increase it's potential and it doesn't decrease it. It stays the same. Always constant. This brings me to another point, and that is, many people believe that the IQ (a measure of intelligence) is never changing, like time, and it is largely hereditary and determined at birth (whatever that means). This is almost like saying, a tree's height is determined at birth. This clearly isn't the case, though it can be argued both ways, however, if a young tree doesn't receive enough water and nourishment, then it's growth will be forever stunted. Meaning, it won't live up to its genetic potential, or you might say, it's genetic potential would be altered due to a lack of specific nutrition. There is an equally opposite perspective, and that is, if the tree was given special growth boosting nutrients then it's hereditary potential would be unnaturally (?) heightened and forever increased. It wouldn't just realize it's potential, it would go beyond it.

To me, intelligence, in whatever way you care to define it - IQ being a decent measure of it - can be increased and improved upon. This is what I'm interested in, hence, this thread. But first, in order to improve something, perhaps, it would be wise to understand what it is that one wants to improve. What is intelligence. Specifically?

One might view the opposite of intelligence as being ignorance (I have heard this one many times over). This is simply false. Ignorance is what we describe as being the absence of knowledge. If this were the case, then intelligence would be the possession of knowledge. Even though "it" may help one to become more intelligent, knowledge is nothing without intelligence. Without at least some intelligence, knowledge would be useless information which would not be distinguishable from anything else. Now let's go back. The opposite of intelligence is un-intelligence, or in other words, stupidity. Knowledge, if you remember, can help someone to become more intelligent if there is already some intelligence there. If there is only stupidity, which is highly unlikely, then knowledge, being neutral, will breed more stupidity. Huh.

Intelligence is made up of many parts. That much is clear. These parts can be improved. As this is done, the improvement of intelligence, as a whole, can be achieved. IQ tries to measure these parts. Even though it isn't a complete measure, it is one of value.

As there are different degrees to stupidity, there too, are different degrees to intelligence. As stupidity decreases, intelligence gets its chance. In other words, stupidity creates an inability and hampers the growth of intelligence. In this regard, one can conclude, that to begin to improvement of intelligence, one must eliminate that which stunts its growth or increase that which eliminates stupidity.

Anyway, my goal, here, is to figure out a way to increase intelligence, and therefore, increase IQ. There must be a relationship between the two.

Any ideas? Has anyone figured this out? I suspect that some people have made this endeavor into a science. Do share.

PS - I believe that there is nothing of more value than to increase intelligence and decrease stupidity.

You can study a subject once,then again later,then again,and as you go you will increase your intelligence about that subject,the more you study a subject the more you will have I.Q. wise in subject matter,,,if you spend alot of time and hands on with any given subject the more you'll increase your intelligence-does this make some of your answer?Mike

There are various charms and magic items, that give +Int, i am surprised you never found one. :D

Seriously, i don't think studying is the most atomic action related to increasing intelligence. IMO, experience is (here the analogy with RPG games again :P).

Reading and practicing in some area, gives you some kind of experience - some kind of re-programming of your neural pathways, that gives a better solution to a given problem. Of course, we humans, sometimes tend to oversimplify matters, and use abstraction a little bit too much. Don't forget intelligence is not some objectively measurable characteristic, rather than a subjective one, defined and attributed to various individuals and entities, by human minds.

Yes, the research does show that it is possible to increase intelligence. Intelligence correlates fairly well with general health, which is why some animals use measures of intelligence (such as song complexity for birds) for selecting their mates.

Things that increase your health -- healthy food, exercise -- also increase intelligence. Also, the brain is like any other organ -- it gets stronger with use. An interesting environment, interesting activities; these give your brain practice.

But really, intelligence is a very complex thing and there are lots of things that might help, even if just a little. If you want one aspect to focus on, I suggest exercises that might help you increase your working memory, or concentration.

All the above tips, and so on, have their value but I was hoping for a response that would be a little more in-depth and to the point. For instance, if one wants to become a professional athlete, the advice: "go jogging everyday," would be good advice, though, it will not "create" a professional athlete. It's a simple building block which is pretty much useless on its own, not to mention, well known. To achieve the said goal, one needs to do and know A LOT more. My goal is to search for this type of knowledge and then to incorporate it into my lifestyle (joggling being something I already do).

Only those who have gone the distance, know. That's why professional athletes have coaches and are up to date with the latest pertinent research.

Anyway, I was hoping someone on a science forum would have access to such knowledge and have something new to say. "Smart drugs" may work, but these "artificial enhancements" are temporary, for one. It is like using steriods, I suppose. It's not really an answer, plus, once one gets unhooked, the results wilt.

I agree that intelligence is something complex, but it needs to be broken down in order to be understood. Intelligence is knowing, in a way, but I tend to think of it in different terms. Almost anyone can know, but not everyone can use that knowhow in useful and unique ways (intelligent ways). It's like, you can know what you need to do to benchpress 400lbs (almost everyone is aware of the physical motion involved), but when it comes to it, you may not be able to unless you're a seasoned power-lifter. The ability to lift that weight is the intelligence which my thread refers to. To get there, you need something besides common knowledge. This much I know.

Many people have natural abilities which go beyond those who were, for lack of a better word, less fortunate, but this doesn't really matter because what you may not have, can be and commonly is, grown.

One more thing. If I wanted to lift heavy weights (back to the powerlifting example). I would get a trainer and/or read books that teach special techniques. Nutrition, meditation, supplements, sleep, advanced methods, etc. Many, many things, and all these things, as a whole, would get me that much closer to achieving my goal, say, of benchpressing 400lbs. For some reason, I haven't been able to find much when it comes to learning about "what can be done to become much smarter than one already is."

I feel like someone who has been stuck lifting 200lbs without improvement for quite some time.

By the way, is my thread appropriate for this forum? If not, please feel free to move it to a more appropriate location. Thank you.

Well in addition to being more complex, intelligence is harder to measure. You can bench press 100 pounds, 101 pounds, etc... For intelligence, we have an IQ test, sure, but it does not measure intelligence. It may be related to intelligence, for the most part. Actually, intelligence is not even clearly defined.

Intelligence is an invented term.

Long ago people described to me the study of organic chemistry as a class in understanding the organic chemistry reaction mechanisms. Unfortunately, I had more experience in the study of cognition and learning psychology than those people. I began to understand that it truly was a class in memorization with only a slight deviation in the application of memorized details. The chemists here might disagree with me, though.

You're better of finding mechanisms to help you memorize and retain large amounts of material in a faster rate than possible from even the most deviated of individual. I can assure you that I believe that is feasible. I do not think it is possible (the mechanisms to do such don't exist) at this moment at time.

From such, you'll be able to have an extensive knowledge of perhaps falsifiable theories.

From there, you could attempt to use the modern critical thinking skills you've learned from memorizing, processing, and retaining large amounts of data to reach new heights. Perhaps you'd build a system of falsifying Einstein from developing tools which examine an Aristotlean-like center of the universe, from which all physical phenomena are influenced from.

But intelligence enhancement? No, I don't see that as feasible.

Someone once told me that if I knew how the universe was made, I'd be the smartest person in the world.

This must have been about a decade or so ago.

Well, use that as a basis. You're smart if you can understand more about how the universe was made.

How much you know defines how intelligent you are.

But since each thing you know is supposedly falsifiable, you can never gain more intelligence.

As such, the concept of intelligence can only be reached once you know everything.

Alas, it can be claimed that modern education does not make anyone truly intelligent.

As such, all we are learning is lies.

These IQ tests test how well we have a memory of falsifiable theories, ideas of pseudo-science, supposed "facts," and various puzzle-solving abilities.

A boost of intelligence does well for an individual within this contemporary society we live in, which is based on competition.

However, given that each individual is well-excelled in knowledge of Earthly matters, could we not assume they would have a serious disinterest and distaste for any system of policy that enforces competition? I would suspect rebellion.

There is a grave danger involved with the general increase of knowledge and decrease of stupidity within a world community.

Theoretically, it's possible to do what you may be thinking on "your level."

I don't mean to insult you, but I want you think think about it at least the way I am.

We don't do too much research with humans. That's the serious hold-up. The government regulates this issue, and the government is what is preventing enhancement of the human self. Unless you have a bunch of money and volunteers who keep quiet, you're more than likely not going to be able to examine the human brain. Scientists have this idea of testing on mammals that are not human. From such, they try different experiments on them to see how well they have learned and so forth. These experiments are difficult to say if anything was accomplished or if anything was learned about the learning processes the brain undergoes.

Given the ability to use humans over and over again, then sure, perhaps we'd have this stuff sorted out by now. Some technological advancements have held us back, such as knowledge of nanomaterials. We're also learning interesting things about cytology each decade as I learn more and more. So, some people will attempt to say that usage of humans as guinea pigs is unjustified.

You could try experimenting with yourself, but there is the chance you would kill yourself.

But if we could enhance the intelligence and wisdom of large communities all around the world?

Well, then I suspect that there would be a large amount of self-autonomy, government structures would be in chaos, and various economic collapses would happen. It's not within the interest of a society to be intelligent; it's within the interest of the individual.

I use to be a member of the World Transhumanist Association, but I simply don't believe that a transhumanist democracy can exist.

Edited by Genecks

Of course intelligence is an invented term. It's no different than other invented terms, words, and languages. It all evolved up to this point and is evolving as time goes on. Not all things "evolve," but there are many things, like intelligence, which do, at least, I would hope that they do.

So, intelligence is something which has the potential to evolve.

Long ago people described to me the study of organic chemistry as a class in understanding the organic chemistry reaction mechanisms. Unfortunately, I had more experience in the study of cognition and learning psychology than those people.

I don't understand the relation.

You're better of finding mechanisms to help you memorize and retain large amounts of material in a faster rate than possible from even the most deviated of individual. I can assure you that I believe that is feasible. I do not think it is possible (the mechanisms to do such don't exist) at this moment at time.

Of course the mechanisms exists. Just ask Bob Gray. You CAN train yourself to increase your memory capacity and recall. This has been proven, as have other characteristics of intelligences.

I would say that memory is one part of intelligence. If you know what I mean. But I no longer think so. It plays its part. however, I would think that an intelligent mind would still be intelligent without memory. This may sound wrong, but, to me, intelligence is an ability which does not rely on memory to be intelligent.

From such, you'll be able to have an extensive knowledge of perhaps falsifiable theories.

True.

From there, you could attempt to use the modern critical thinking skills you've learned from memorizing, processing, and retaining large amounts of data to reach new heights. Perhaps you'd build a system of falsifying Einstein from developing tools which examine an Aristotelean-like center of the universe, from which all physical phenomena are influenced from.

How is "critical thinking" related to intelligence? (Do tell)

But intelligence enhancement? No, I don't see that as feasible.

Heh. Why not?

Someone once told me that if I knew how the universe was made, I'd be the smartest person in the world.

If the level of smartness equals the level of intelligence, then, I would doubt it, keeping in mind, the definition of intelligence.

How much you know defines how intelligent you are.

Perhaps.

But since each thing you know is supposedly falsifiable, you can never gain more intelligence.

As such, the concept of intelligence can only be reached once you know everything.

Huh? (Confused)

Alas, it can be claimed that modern education does not make anyone truly intelligent.

As such, all we are learning is lies.

I believe that it CAN help make (help increase) people more intelligent.

These IQ tests test how well we have a memory of falsifiable theories, ideas of pseudo-science, supposed "facts," and various puzzle-solving abilities.

Is that all?

There is a grave danger involved with the general increase of knowledge and decrease of stupidity within a world community.

I'm not sure I understand.

Theoretically, it's possible to do what you may be thinking on "your level."

I don't mean to insult you, but I want you think think about it at least the way I am.

Umm... OK. Whatever THAT means. (Again, confused)

We don't do too much research with humans. That's the serious hold-up. The government regulates this issue, and the government is what is preventing enhancement of the human self. Unless you have a bunch of money and volunteers who keep quiet, you're more than likely not going to be able to examine the human brain. Scientists have this idea of testing on mammals that are not human. From such, they try different experiments on them to see how well they have learned and so forth. These experiments are difficult to say if anything was accomplished or if anything was learned about the learning processes the brain undergoes.

Cadavers. These are used. It is legal.

Some technological advancements have held us back, such as knowledge of nanomaterials.

I don't understand what you mean.

You could try experimenting with yourself, but there is the chance you would kill yourself.

How so?

But if we could enhance the intelligence and wisdom of large communities all around the world?

Well, then I suspect that there would be a large amount of self-autonomy, government structures would be in chaos, and various economic collapses would happen. It's not within the interest of a society to be intelligent; it's within the interest of the individual.

I would suspect that it is in the interest of humanity - as a whole - to be as intelligent as possible.

I use to be a member of the World Transhumanist Association, but I simply don't believe that a transhumanist democracy can exist.

I've heard a little about it.

PS: Interesting post, Genecks!

Edited by Syn

I think you are relating intelligence perhaps to something like a central procecessing unit in a computer. The faster it is, the more power you have. Albeit, I think such a thing does exist with the human brain. I think we have research that had increased its touch on this field within the 21st century. One of the first things that lead to me to such a concept was Joe Tsien's (neuroscientist) research on the mice.

I don't fully understand the extent of his research, but I have come to consider that if enzymatic pathways that normally conduct thought processing in mice could be sped up, then a person could "think faster," thus seem more "intelligent."

I think that's a good way of referring to intelligence: Quicker thinking.

Perhaps why you don't understand some of my posts is because it's very difficult to define intelligence. It's a word that people attach meanings to, as I'm sure we both understand. And I defined intelligence as an impractical term, which relates to knowledge: And since we can never KNOW anything, we can never be "intelligent."

This isn't to say that we can't conduct better "thinking."

There are differences between the man who sits around and the athlete, given both have the same level of education. I think this century we've gone further into studying how exercise influences "thinking" skills and input/output of data.

If we are to increase intelligence, we must do so through increasing memory and speeding up thought processes. Even if a person could speed up thought processes, though, that might not bring a person anywhere unless that person can "think on a new level." In other words, that person begins to critically examine the world around him/her and attempt to trial/error different feasible concepts of reality until one becomes apparently related to the ultimate Truth of reality. Some might say that's the process, while others would argue that it's about not undergoing trial/error so often, because that would take a long time; as such, some might argue that what allows people to reach that "new level" of processing is the deterministic past of the individual.

Yet, we could still argue that the equilizer is increasing the thought processes of individual to go through extreme amounts of information processing. Even if we were to do this, it'd still require a lot of energy. Keep in mind the brain uses a lot of glucose. We'd have to speed up the neural processing of molecules, and I'm not sure what consequences there would be on the CNS.

To answer your question, I believe that the ability to increase "intelligence," in a general sense, is there. But we would have to be very sure, very very sure, about our theories regarding the brain, how its psychology works, information retainment, and information processing work before we could fathom exactly how to pull off intelligence enhancement.

In terms of cadavers, they are dead. That's like Joe Tsien doing research on dead mice. Unless he were making zombie mice, I don't think there would be much point to research a dead brain. You could attempt to take the brain out of a doogie mouse, run it through tests (ala brain in a vat) style, and record whatever data occurs, but that may bring forth limited data, since the animal is not motive enough to see results.

In general, my view is that perhaps the best way to examine data and research intelligence is the brain-in-a-vat style research. This would be highly unethical, and would force you to create a Matrix-like reality for the brain. Given that the cadaver's brain still has enough ability to function (and we have found ways to keep brains artificially alive, I believe), you might be able to research a "dead" human that way. Nonetheless, I'd assume such a being to be alive.

In my last post, I really tried touching on a few things:

1. Why become intelligent?

2. Can you really be intelligent?

In relation to #1, perhaps the best answer is to examine the universe and the reason for existence.

In relation to #2, perhaps the best answer is through knowing the universe and the reason for everything.

Some people could do the very human thing, the thing they are programmed to do: Reproduce.

In doing so, however, they fall to the human condition.

I suspect unless a person has a higher reason for intelligence enhancement, which not many people do, the consequences would be severe. It's an odd comment, I know. It's like saying, "Why was Einstein a depressive-realist? Shouldn't he have been happy to feel closer to the ultimate Truth?" Then again, there are schools of stoicism, and so forth.

To increase "intelligence," you probably need to make sure the same pathways that allow thinking occur are able to do their job faster and easier without breaking down. That's from a purely physicalist basis. What those pathways are? I'm not sure. That's an exploration of current research.

To answer another question, when you experiment with yourself, let's say gene therapy, you make permanent changes.

Those changes could be dangerous. Let's say you increase glucose processing of all neurons. Well, if the glucose can't get there fast enough, it's like a really skinny person who never eats (with no rational to eat) yet runs everyday. Eventually, that person is going to hit the ground, pass out, and die. If the neurons die, you die. There is the probability that plasticity will occur if you make only some neurons genetically altered. But if it were only a few neurons, I doubt you'll notice the qualitative effects. I'm going to assume the change needs to be widespread: Not 0.0001% change but a 1% change or higher. Hence why some people influence the usage of nootropic drugs: Temporary drugs to increase enhancement. The idea is they go in like any illicit drug and eventually come out with time. It's considered a more feasible solution and temporary change.

Here is an article:

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/07/science/scientist-at-work-joe-z-tsien-of-smart-mice-and-an-even-smarter-man.html?pagewanted=1

Edited by Genecks