Are energy shields, plasma shields or force fields a possibility in real science????

Pomlom

Most of us have played sci-fi video games, read sci-fi books and of course, seen sci-fi movies. Now there is one thing that intrigues me, that is: Are force fields and their relatives possible to create in real life???

Have any of you heard of any experiments or research that is going on right now on force fields???

Pomlom

ur body has a foce field right now. i hope, or u'd not be sitting in ur chair.

That's just being obtuse.

re: the original question, there is nothing really expected to the level of something like Star Trek, but there is always the future.

beside the force field that keeps us from going through objects, we have an EM field. which one were you talking about?

WE DON'T HAVE A FORCE FIELD. WE DON'T GO THROUGH OBJECTS BECAUSE OF THE ELECTROSTATIC REPULSION, WHICH, AS THE NAME IMPLIES, IS DUE TO THE ELECTROMAGNETIC FORCE, AND THEREFORE AN ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELD.

Thank you.

and is electromagnetism not a force?

It is, but it's not a field of force. It's a field of potential. Which was the point I made a few posts back. Which is, in fact, all irrelevent, because you'd still be needlessly and pointlessly deliberately misunderstanding his post and just muddying the waters.

so, a magnet does not have a force field? what are force fields then?

In context, they're the kind of shields you find in science fiction. Out of context, it's shorthand for a field that has the capability to exert a force, but I've never come across it in a technical sense.

Guest ViperX883

The electromagnetic field itself is not a force field. It is only a potential field since there are no forces. In order to have a force field you need to have multiple charges/magnets. Strictly speaking, you have an elctromagnetic potential field, but when you come in close proimity to other objects it does in fact become a force field. Were you to model the space between your hand and a wall say, you would see that the electromagnetic potential fields interact in a manner that creates a distinct force at every point in space, which is exactly what a force field is.

Electrostatic fields will attract or repel objects, and depending on the strength can even repel a moving object (projectile).

but you`re dreaming if you consider projectiles such as ballistic rounds! LOL, or even a paperclip dropped! :)

sure "static elec" is a fine example of such a force.

think about how a pith ball gets repelled from a Van De Graff generator, or how a balloon will stick to a wall if you rub it on your hair or T`shirt, or the metal leaves in an electroscope :)

Good question.

We don’t know exactly how to do it. If we were even close there would be half a dozen venture capitalists pouring big bucks into the project trying to nail down the essential patents.

That said, people are ingenious. Aircraft, submarines, nuclear power, computers, and all kinds of other things were visualized centuries before they were possible. And when these inventions were brought to fruition, they were not exactly as they were visualized, but we have them nonetheless.

But force fields that can be used as a defense against projectiles I think will take a bit more work. We need more experience using and manipulating energy fields as well as more complete theory of sub atomic structures. Maybe string theory will give us the understanding we need to use and project different types of forces at will. Maybe not.

It is probably too early to tell if a Star Trek force field is possible, but it is also too early to say that it is impossible. I think we will eventually find a way to do virtually the same thing, but maybe not the way it is seen on TV.