UK may have to withdraw from the Cassini mission

ajb

UK scientists were told just before Christmas that the funding for their work will stop. This is despite NASA saying that the mission will be extended until 2017, when the spacecraft will be commanded to plunge into the ringed planet's atmosphere.

STFC is trying to save money over the next few years. What other astronomy projects will suffer?

See the BBC news report here.

It is truly amazing how little this country cares about space!

Not too long ago, the UK was the only european power with the ability to launch a rocket, now we've just given up, like it's just not that important.

I don't think there's anything more important! Our problems on Earth are all due to overpopulation and control of resources. Mankind needs to get going in space and the UK is going to get left behind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
It is truly amazing how little this country cares about space!

Not too long ago, the UK was the only european power with the ability to launch a rocket, now we've just given up, like it's just not that important.

I don't think there's anything more important! Our problems on Earth are all due to overpopulation and control of resources. Mankind needs to get going in space and the UK is going to get left behind.

Makes me wonder if there is something they are not telling us, I mean Nasa budget been cut drastically aswell. I personally think that the government have a constant 'ability' of spaceflight to the moon and have done for quite a while.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.