extracting ascorbic acid (vitamin c) out of ginger?

Abchirk

Hey I have searched in the internet, but I didn't find anything related to that. I found how to extract the hot substances like gingerol.

But I didn't find anything for ascorbic acid. So does anyone has an idea? I want to quantify the amount of vitamin C in ginger. It is for a project work at school.

Any suggestion is welcome!

Yeah and then maybe titration, but we have to use modern analytic methods like HPLC etc.

I found some papers...

Does anyone has free access to papers like this:

- quantifying via GC - it would be very appreciated.

I already got this one:

- quantifying via HPLC -, but I guess our HPLC doesn't have such column.

:(

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

hm well, I got all papers now...

I have decided to use HPLC with a gradient (oH-level ~2)

Because you need something which prevents the ascorbic acid of degrading to dehydroascorbic acid. You can achieve this with substances which block the oxidizing of Ascorbicacid or a acid like metaphyophoric acid which also safes the ascorbic acid.

:)

Since vitamin C is very soluble in water there's nothing much to gain by using a base to extract it. Also, it is less likely to be oxidised by the air if it is in neutral or acid solution.

(BTW, a lot of the column manufacturers supply "application notes" for their columns. It's blatant advertising, but it's a good way to find out about analytical methods, on-line, for free.)

(BTW, a lot of the column manufacturers supply "application notes" for their columns. It's blatant advertising, but it's a good way to find out about analytical methods, on-line, for free.)

Yes, I know I was a bit in hurry...

But I asked my teacher now and he said that I could do it with pH=2 also on the column, but I have to re-neutralize the column every day...

:)

Thanks for your help!