Can pain cause shock?

Hi:

The followings are not homework questions. They are question of my genuine interest.

If all the pain receptors in the solar plexus are stimulated to the max-possible, will neurogenic shock occur? If so, what is the mechanism by which the pain will cause neurogenic shock? Is it lethal?

Thanks,

Green Xenon

Hi:

The followings are not homework questions. They are question of my genuine interest.

If all the pain receptors in the solar plexus are stimulated to the max-possible, will neurogenic shock occur? If so, what is the mechanism by which the pain will cause neurogenic shock? Is it lethal?

Thanks,

Green Xenon

You might want to ask Bruce Lee that question.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Green Xenon:

Mechanical trauma to the solar plexus could cause the diaphragm to convulse, resulting in very painful if temporary cessation of respiration. If massive mechanical shock is imparted to solar plexus, yes, it could - and does - result in death. Wish I could tell you more about this, but I'm sure of what I'm saying here as far as it goes. Former EMT here. Any kind of massive pain can cause a state of deep shock, the body responds by contracting all the blood vessels near the surface and other physiological changes to compensate, which can in themselves be fatal. Yes. Shock can kill. Try to keep patient warm, elevate legs when possible. Stop any bleeding if and when you can. In cases of blood loss and I.V. facilities are accessible, introduce saline solution to maintain blood pressure until transusable blood or plasma is available.

Best regards. - Kai

Edited by KaiduOrkhon