Make KCLO4

lucky45

There is basically only 1 way to make KCLO4 that is by electrolysis. of common salt, followed by double decomposition with Potassium Chloride. But the way I make it is by electrolizing Potassium chloride and running my cell a few days after you have Chlorate to get Perchlorate. First you get a cell liquor (2-liters)of saturated Potassium Chloride. Appox. 900 grams and add about 100 grams of table salt to improve electical conducttivity. I use a Titanium cathode,and Platinum anode. Hook to DC power source of 5-6 volts and 10-15 amps,(use a heat sink so you dont have a melt down) Run cell for about 2 weeks then check for perchlorate using methelean blue. Once you have a good % of KCLO4, I run cell for about 3 more days. Second, take your cell liquor and add con-hydrochloric to bring Ph down to 1-2. Bring to boil for about 15-20 minuets,(THIS WILL DESTROY ANY RESIDUAL CHLORATE VERY IMPORTANT WHEN MAKING KCLO4) Once done ,check for chlorate with (Indigo-Carmine). If any chlorat is present add about 50mgs of Potassium Metabisulfite. This will clean up any CHLO3, Finally, Bring your cell liquor back up to about 8-9 with sodium hydrioxide. then boil down to about 1/2 original voluume. Then lastly, refrigerate overnight to precipitate KCLO4. Then scoop out your KCLO4 and wash with (ICE WATER). Then dry out in a glass bowl and then mill to desiered consistantly. (foot notes)---KCLO4 is a very powerfull oxidizer. you Must destroy all Chlorate and You must bring your Liquor back to about 8-9 ph. Acidic KCLO4 is an absolute NO NO!! Also When boiling down your product with (con-Hydrochloric acid) It is IMPERITAVE that you do this outdoors, Byproduct of boiling is Chlorine dioxide and is VERY TOXIC. Unless you have a labratory approved fume hood. Thankyou and I am open for dissuccion.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Why cant I make a post on this network? Have I been suspened or what, I at least am entitaled an explanation