What is the metabolism of Hydra?

Jericho

I want to test theobromine on Hydra, and although it is poorly soluble, I still want to go ahead. However, theobromine is toxic to some organisms due to slow metabolism.

I don't want to kill the Hydra - does anyone know what is the metabolism of Hydra? Also, how much water is needed to dissolve theobromine?

Please cite your sources :D

This cannot be easily answered. You first would have to know the precise toxicity mechanism of theobromine and whether it is applicable at all to hydras, which have a vastly different metabolism as mammals, for instance. Even if you know how it affects hydras predicting dose-response relationships is not an easy task either (just take into account parameters like bioavailabilty, rate of metabolization, bioaccumulation etc). The easiest thing is probably just test it empirically.

The solubility is much easier to figure out. According to some random MSDS sheets it appears to have a solubility of around 0.5g/l.