Estimating Sun's Lifetime -- what's wrong ?

Widdekind

NGC 6287 is the oldest Globular Cluster in the Milky Way Galaxy. And, according to this article, the cluster's Main-Sequence Turnoff happens at a V-I Color Index of ~1.3.

Then, according to this site, that V-I Color Index corresponds, according to the formula:

[math]T_{eff} = \frac{9385}{0.95 + (V-I)} K[/math]

to an effective surface temperature of roughly Teff = 4200 K.

Finally, according to the appendix of Carroll & Ostlie's Introduction to Modern Astrophysics (1st ed.), that effective surface temperature corresponds most closely with Spectral Class K5, which has [math]M \approx 0.67 M{\odot}, L \approx 0.15 L_{\odot}[/math]. Such a star should have a stellar lifetime longer than our Sun's by a factor of roughly (M / L) = 4.5.

CONCLUSION (?!?): Since our Universe is purportedly under 14 billion years old, and then even if NGC 6287 is nearly as old, our Sun should have a lifetime of at most 14 Gyr / 4.5 = 3.1 Gyr. And, conversely, if our Sun really has a lifetime of roughly 10 Gyr, then NGC 6287 (and the Universe) must be at least 45 Gyr old.

What went wrong ??

:confused:

What am I missing ? Isn't the "Main Sequence Turnoff" that group of stars that are "still just barely" on the Main Sequence ?

According to the cited sources, the last stars still on the MS have a V-I CI of ~1.3, which theoretically corresponds to a Teff ~ 4200 K...

which would be, as a MS star, a K-6 or K-5 class orange dwarf... yes??

So, stars smaller than K-6 are still on MS in NGC 6287, while stars bigger than K-5 have already begun (to varying degrees) to "peel off" the MS... yes ?? :confused:

• 1 year later...