elctomagnet and neodymium questions?

smoore

okay first off hi this is my first post I came here bcause I intend to make a new type of generator that no one has ever built and I have some questions that would be very usefull to know befor we start trying to make it most of the stuff is easy to test but we currently have no matterials to do so. I geuss my first qeustion is if you have a weak magnet and a stronger magnet the weak magnet gose torwards the stronger one however if the weak magnet is made to be immobal will the stronger magnet move torwards it? I know this is a stupid question and probably the answer is yes but still I would like to check befor hand and make sure. Also it may change the answer that the weaker magnet is an electro magnet and the stronger magnet is a neodymium. Then I have my questions about electromagnets in general as the last time I worked with one was third grade. dose the coils end have to be around the electromagnet? and dose it consume the electrcal energy to magnitize the electromagnet? I geuss an example of that since I worded that weird would be if i had a wire from a battery then wrapped around an iron bar then to a lightbulb then back to the battery would anything happen.... thanks in advanced for answering my questions....

also is the time an electromagnet is off and it demagnetizes itself instant becuse I have heard it is and also that it isnt and if it isnt is it relative to size or charge?

thanks again

smoore; welcome to the forum. The strength and type of magnet has no bearing on what you are asking. The effects that determine the answer to your question are mass of the magnet and friction of the surface in question. If one magnet is held in place, its friction is infinite and the other magnet will move toward it every time (provided the magnetic field strength is strong enough to overcome friction). If neither are held in place, they will accelerate toward one another in proportion to their mass i.e.you will barely notice a much larger magnet moving without taking sensitive measurements of the event. As for your electromagnet, it consumes electricity to make a magnetic field by definition. Your coil magnet will make the bulb dim, whether your magnet was powerful enough to make this effect even noticable is different matter. I wish you luck on your project and suggest you learn some thermodynamics since that would probably help save you from trying things that are obviously not going to work.