2D gel analysis of eukaryotic ribosomal proteins

Guest alirman

Guest alirman

Hello,

Would anyone know of a research performed on eukaryotic ribosomal proteins (preferably S. cerevisiae) using 2D gel electrophoresis in association with mass spectrometry.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Wow, tough question. Its not likely that anyone on this forum (even as smart as some of them are) would know that information off hand, but i could be wrong. For that kind of information I usually use PubMed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

or scifinder, which can be found in most university libraries. Of course, if you’re asking this question there is a good chance you already familiar with both of these things. I would also suggest using Boolean operators liberally to save time. Just for kicks I ran a search in pubmed and came up with this link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10874046

<--- It has to do with chloroplast ribosomes and not yeast, sorry. But, the researchers apparently used both electrophoresis and mass spectrometry so maybe it might help. Good luck.

Hello' date='

Would anyone know of a research performed on eukaryotic ribosomal proteins (preferably S. cerevisiae) using 2D gel electrophoresis in association with mass spectrometry.

Your help is greatly appreciated[/quote']

Are you talking about specific research, or any involving the above?

• 2 weeks later...

Using pubmed, you can find numerous studies. If your looking for info about the actual technique of 2d Gel electrophoresis google it. Basically, it can separate a protein using two dimensions (hence the name). One of the dimensions is size, or weight, the second is by charge. You could look for a change in a protein as a result of a condition and then make an inference about it. I think you may be able to separate many proteins simultaneously, so you could for instance try and identify a set of proteins that are upregulated during S. cerevisiae replication, or something and target those for a therapeutic target. I've read a couple papers on it, but that was a while ago......pubmed should have plenty

• 2 months later...
You could look for a change in a protein as a result of a condition and then make an inference about it.

I suppose you mean a change in protein abundancy? That's theoretically possible but for a true quantification you got to use techniques like radioactive labelling or DIGE, or the usage of heavy nitrogen.

With 2D PAGES as compared to 1D you get a better resolution and therefore you can visulize more proteins.

And in fact there are plenty of papers regarding the proteome of fungi.

I don't think that there are 2d gels only woth ribosomal proteins around though, since one of the strength of this technique is the visualisation of a lot of proteins in one gel. If one could separate the ribosmal proteins from all others (at the moment i'd have no clue how short of His-tagging and purifying them) an 1D PAGE should suffice.