About DNS........

albertlee

Good question. I don't think that there is such a software.

Why do you need it for anyway(a better elaboration of the post 1 would be nice) since that your DHCP info IS dynamic and is therefore subject to change anyway - unless you specify one manually and save it?

yeah, Sayonara, I want to have my own website and own domain on my box with DHCP, but I would like to ask, does IP only change when I restart my computer?

secondly, can I make my own domain name server without any cost if my top level domain does not even exist before? if my domain is not under like .com .uk .us etc...?

Albert

Firstly no, you can't just dream up your own TLD's (.com, .net, .org, etc). They're decided on by ICANN. DNS works sort of like this.

When your computer tries to look up a domain name, we'll say http://www.google.com for example - it will ask your ISP's DNS server what the IP for that name is. The ISP's server will look at the .com bit, and ask something called a "root server" about it. It's these root servers where the whole thing begins. They know about all the TLD's and think "Oooh, I know who to ask about that. Thats Verisign!", so it tells the ISP's server to and go off and ask Verisign's DNS server "who's Google"? Verisigns DNS server will reply with the IP's of Google's very own DNS servers which are then asked by the ISP's server "Whats the IP address for www.google.com?", and it'll get a reply. So you see the problem with inveting your own TLD's is that the root servers won't have a clue whats going on.

Thats a simplified version of whats going on, because DNS really is complicated and terribly dull. If you'd like to know more there is a book called "DNS & Bind" by O'Reiley that explains it all in excruciating detail.

Second, the IP you get from your ISP will probably change each time you reboot. It can even change when you haven't rebooted for a while.

You can dynamically change DNS records based on your current IP easily and there are a few services that will do it. Some for free, some cost. I use http://www.dyndns.org myself. There are lots more. Try a Google search for "Dynamic DNS".

Hope that helps.

yeah, Sayonara, I want to have my own website and own domain on my box with DHCP, but I would like to ask, does IP only change when I restart my computer?

Your IP changes everytime you connect to the internet (or whatever network you are on that is running DHCP) or when the lease time of the IP you were given expires.

secondly, can I make my own domain name server without any cost if my top level domain does not even exist before? if my domain is not under like .com .uk .us etc...?

No. Top level domains are given to you.

If you want a DNS server, try BIND. It's very powerful. Running a DNS server for one website is overkill in my opinion. Just ask your ISP to do it for you.

There is a seperate NIC you can use called OpenNIC. I don't know how widespread it is, but they've basically come up with a set of their own root servers because they're fed up with the red tape that comes along with the setting up of TLD's (partly, at least). Don't know how many people use it, but I use their nameservers as they will obviously resolve all of the existing domains.