Grafting... any predictability about it ?

Externet

Hi all.

Lunatic questions...

Could an apple tree branch receive a lettuce sprout and develop ? -Different botanic families :embarass:.

What are the limitations, compatibilities or guidelines ? What determines feasibility ?

Could a mangrove get a tomato grafting ? Could a pine bear avocados ? :rolleyes:

I have tried a graft that has been done by others and have been unsuccessful.

It really is an art. Most of my grafts were of succulents and cacti.

If you find any good reading about it please let us know in this thread.

I am hoping to learn a bit about the practice also.

From the scattered sources I have read, I believe there is very little limitations as long as the vascular tissues can connect and maintain integrity.

There is no immunological rejections from what I understand. As I don't think plants don't really have an immune system. There are defense mechanisms but I don't think they are considered immune based systems.

As far as terminology there is the rootstock and the scion. The scion being the rootless component in the graft.

As far as the various other tissues, I'm not sure how they interact and develop a stable platform/ connection to support the scion.

Good Luck!