Ethical use of Genetic Data

georgeskohler

I'm sorry if this has been discussed in another thread: I was inspired by a lecture by the great Dr. Robert Weinberg (available online) to ask, given that science has advanced to the point that it is feasible to obtain the genetic profile for any given individual, what will be the most appropriate way to handle an individual's genetic information in the near future. For example, does an employer have the right to know if a job candidate has a particular genetic mutation which in some way might affect his/her ability to perform the job required of them (for instance, a mutation associated with increased susceptibility for a particular cancer)?

I suspect that in our lifetimes it will become public knowledge, or at least open to the government, medical research (with other medical data, but anonymized), etc. However for now it is treated under the right to medical privacy and doctor-patient confidentiality.

As Mokele said. Also research on genetic data from individuals fall under general ethical guidelines for human research subject which are aimed to protect the research participants. It is, for instance necessary to anonymize genetical data so that it is impossible to track back the respective individual from which individual the sample came from.